Friday, December 30, 2016

Adios 2016

You may or may not remember this quilt.  It was an Irish Chain variation that I made awhile ago.  It will be one of the featured quilts in our upcoming Blue and White Book with Martingale.

To make a long story short...... when I first made this there wasn't a pattern for strip piecing it.  And believe me - if you want to make it - you want to strip piece it.  A plan was hatched to re-do the quilt - take lots of notes - and come up with a strip piecing pattern for it.  That was my plan for the week between Christmas and New Year's and I made it!

Instead of the 2 color version you see above - I wanted to test the pattern in a 3 color version using the Snowfall fabric collection and some extra red fabrics.

Strips were cut, an audio book (or 2) was put on, and I strip pieced......
I pressed all my seams open because I plan on hand quilting this quilt - just like the blue and white one - and pressing the seams open really helps with that.  That said - pressing all the millions of seams open on this was time consuming.  
The blocks started to pile up.

Soon I had the 99 blocks made.

As I said earlier today on IG when I posted this picture of the "sewing of the last seam", the last seam is like wrestling a goat.  


Here is the 3 color version. Unlike the traditional Irish Chain quilts that have sharp lines, I wanted this variation to look washed out and blurry.  It seems to work.  Note that lots and lots of mis-matching seams also tend to make it look blurry :)  That was my plan all along. Heh.  It will take a few weeks to get the pattern up and running.  I'll post here and on IG when it is ready and in our Etsy shop.  

I call this a wrap for 2016.  See you on the other side.

Laters,

Laurie


19 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

both versions look wonderful and so great to know that besides you and I and maybe a thousand more that hand quilting is still alive and well and very much enjoyed by us! I tend to press seams open too

Robin said...

Your new quilt top turned out so lovely.

Jacqueline said...

Very pretty...

Happy New Year

Susan said...

Beyond gorgeous and exactly what a worn and soft vintage quilt should look like!

Janet said...

Be still my heart ... on both of these!

Donna said...

Beautiful! Such warmth.

Susie Hoover said...

Loved the 2-color version. Am in awe of the 3-color!

Yvonne said...

Both so pretty! I can not choose wich one I like more! Have a happy new year and a creative 2017!

sue said...

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet said...

Love the 3 color version. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Vicky said...

Both are fabulous! I made an Irish chain for a friend and didn't strip piece it. Said I'd never do another one. I think you might have changed my mind! Happy New Year, Laurie!

Hildy said...

Love your quilts both versions are great! Have a great and wonderful 2017!

Miss Jean said...

They ar just beautiful!!!

Barb said...

Just popped over to the etsy shop. Why is everything priced in British Pounds.I'm in Canada.

Sarah said...

These are both stunning quilts. What type of batting will you use for this quilt? I'm getting ready to quilt one.

Laurie said...

Sarah,

I'm using Dream Batting in Select weight.

kshackabq said...

That is so cool! You are amazing, Laurie! Wonderful quilt.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

It's just beautiful, although I can't imagine matching all those seams after they are pressed open!

kathiquilts said...

another beauty that I HAVE to add to my "gotta make this one" list The dilemma will be which way to go -- those sweet blues or the wonderful reds and greens?

Blog Archive