Monday, August 8, 2016

Technology is King


This is our great grandmother Polly. She epitomizes my mood.  It isn't a good mood.  There have been some challenges that I haven't quite taken in stride.  We had our 7th power outage of the summer yesterday.  Right now it is working (hence the blog post).  These power outages are not the result of weather.  They are because of equipment failure.  All I'm going to say is I'm waiting patiently for the power company to make things right.  If they don't I will have to channel my inner "grandma Polly" and let them know how I really feel.  Which begs the question.....what do you do when your power goes out?  You can go shopping.... Shopping somewhere air-conditioned and with working light bulbs.  You can clean (ugh) and straighten your fabric shelves.
What you can't do is do any work on the computer. You can't cook, sew, iron, or read a book after dark.  I survived. Other people have much greater challenges, but it is aggravating when it seems absolutely unnecessary.  

Ok, end of rant.

I had a great weekend at Elk Grove Wisconsin at Patched Works Quilt Shop.  I would love to show you pictures, but it seems any photo I took and put on Instagram - I cannot access right now. Except this one - Julie is going to have a Portage Lake Block of the Month club starting in October at Patched Works!


The great news is that Grand Traverse Bay fabric from Moda has shipped/or is being shipped right now to your local quilt shops.





This quilt is Martin Place - made with a Fat Quarter bundle and background fabric.  It makes a king size quilt (or smaller if you prefer)

I'm going to take advantage of our electricity and try to get some work done today.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Laters,

Laurie





13 comments:

Christine S said...

Martin Place is beautiful!!

Pam said...

Thoughts that occurred to me simultaneously:
- Your Great Grandma would not take any guff from the electric company.
- Ooooh, an empty basket! Tidy fabric!
- Wish I could've gotten up to WI to meet you and see your beautiful quilts!
- Squirrel!

Lol! Will you be kitting up any of your Grand Travers Bay quilts? I'd rather buy them from you, but if you won't be kitting them, I will need to get busy :)

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

As for reading, get a Kindle. Not a Kindle Fire, just the plain old paper white Kindle. I love mine and would be lost without it. I live on a lake in the summer here in NH and we lose our power a lot. My Kindle helps me tamp down my total anger and frustration with NH Electric Cooperative who I despise.

farmhousequilter8 said...

Glad you r back. Love Martin place. Paula in KY

Hildy said...

7 power outages in a year? That's a lot! I think you should complain to your senator and newspapers and don't know to all and everyone there is.
Without any power you could cut fabrics for your next project or EEP some hexagons. And hope power is running again soon;-)

Yvonne said...

How did we ever managed without power? Sometimes it is good to endure it and think how blessed we are with all we have! But seven times! You probably got the message!

I bought a fqb of Grand Traverse Bay at Market in Salt Lake City and loved it! Have been waiting for the fabric to come in stores. Just bought some yardage so I can sew, sew, sew.....(just need to find some time....)

Vicky said...

I feel for you. I've had no hot water for two days. The parts will arrive tomorrow, thank goodness. I've decided I can't be a pioneer lady who bathed in cold creeks! My Kindle Paperwhite is great for reading in the dark!

Pamela Tasker said...

God Bless Great Grandmother Polly !

Anonymous said...

I have a nice book light.....works great as do camping battery lamps.
Thank God for our Great Grandmothers.....

cheryl warstler said...

so, your quilting room looks beautifully clean. and I am in love w/ Grand Traverse Bay, have some fat quarters, 2 layer cakes and am doing Portage Lake BOM with you all....got Month 1 done and I am so happy.....now I think, why do I work in colors other than red and blue combos? Hope your power troubles are over.

kshackabq said...

That's a wonderful photo of your great grandmother. Happy Birthday to you today (Not Monday). Thank you for all your contribute to our wonderful world of quilting! Hope you an enjoy a day with "power"!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Grrrr Technology-and they say it is suppose to make our lives better. Your Great Grandmother looks like a take no prisoners kind of girl!

Anonymous said...

Cotton Works fabric is another winner. Do you know if any of the local shops will be carrying it? Can't wait to see it. Also need a "Rah" pattern. Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent with us admiring quilters.

Ann Arbor quilter :)















Blog Archive