Thursday, April 28, 2016

Worst Vacation Ever - Or, How My Suitcase Went To Paris and I Didn't

This is what we were hoping for.......

Instead the entire extent of our trip to Paris consisted of my suitcase sitting in a room like this for a day.

First of all, before I tell this tale, let me say I AM FINE.  Perfectly physically healthy, but possibly mentally deranged.

Polly and I have been planning our getaway to Paris for quite awhile.  We scheduled, we studied, we prepared in every way we could think of.  And yet it didn't happen.  While I was getting ready to board my flight to New York (where I would meet up with Polly and then fly to Paris) I became ill.  I had the 2 symptoms that if you get them alone they are only mildly disconcerting, but when you get them together - you are trained to take action.  I had chest pains and nausea.  It didn't seem wise to set out on a transatlantic trip with these symptoms so I had it checked out.  

It quickly became clear that our cancelled trip was due to nothing.  The EMT technicians even asked if I "was afraid to fly".  Geesh.  All cardiac tests were normal.  I then was taken to ER and then tested for weird stuff. Still negative.  They told me that I might have a virus.  It's either that - or "you have a virus" is code for mentally unbalanced.  

My suitcase made it to Charles de Gaulle Airport and stayed overnight before coming back home to me.  Lucky suitcase.

Don't feel too bad for me.  We are re-booking our trip as I type this.  Those exotic pictures I promised to take.....sorry.  We'll try to take even more when we go at Christmas time.

Laters,

Laurie





21 comments:

Pamela Tasker said...

Oh my gosh how awful {*;*} I sure hope you are feeling better, and very happy you are able to re-schedule your trip. Were you able to catch Polly in time before she boarded her flight north? Now do something nice for yourself to cheer up ^;^. Pam

Jan said...

Oh no! How disappointing. Glad to hear, at least, that it was nothing serious.
But still... :-(

Hildy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that and hope you are well now! And the next trip will be better!

Sarah said...

I'm sad you missed your trip, but I am proud of you for getting that checked out. How bad would it have been to be worried and stressing on the plane, and in Paris?! I have read so many times that women die of heart attacks because the have different symptoms than men. That is certainly true, but I think we also fear inconveniencing people. You did the right thing. It would have been very inconvenient to have had a heart attack on a plane. I'm thrilled you are doing well, and the trip will be rescheduled.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh I am so sorry you didn't get to take your trip!~ but really glad you got yourself checked out!! Imagine if you hadn't.... now that could be the stuff of nightmares! I am happy to read you are well and ready to plan the next trip.

Cathy said...

Glad you are OK but terribly disappointing for you to miss your trip. I'm sure you were anticipating it for a long time. If it's any consolation, I assure you that Christmas time is a great time to be in Paris! I was there this past December (with side trip to Strasbourg to see the Christmas market - go if you can, much better than the version on the Champs Elysees though that is nice). Not as crowded, festive spirit, and the weather was not so cold as to prohibit outdoor activities like walking. Plus, you can do all your Christmas gift shopping.

Lisa S. said...

I'm glad you are OK!

Vicky said...

Well, shoot! I'm so glad you're okay, but what a disappointment for you and Polly. I hope you can get it all rescheduled soon!

helen said...

Glad all is well and Paris isnt going anywhere. It will still be lovely at Chrustmas time.

Diane said...

I am so glad you are well! You were right to NOT ignore your symptoms! As a woman and an RN, we are the worst about taking our symptoms seriously! Paris will always be there.

paulette said...

Health is number ONE...you don't ever ignore that!! Good for you...your trip will wait! Sew glad things worked out for the best!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Ugh! You were wise to listen to yourself and check out your symptoms before boarding an overseas flight. Paris will still be there and you will have a special Christmas to remember

Anonymous said...

As they say, things happen for a reason. Glad your health is ok. You will enjoy the trip when ever it happens. Maybe a little sew time will help.

Ann Arbor quilter

Shannon Wallace said...

Glad to hear that your are in good health! I truly believe that sometimes the Lord protects us in ways we cannot understand. :)

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Sorry you had to miss this trip but you'll get there and Christmas will probably be magical. Paris will welcome you with open arms! Wise to take the precaution of being checked out ... heart issues are not something you want to deal with mid-Atlantic!! Things happen for reasons (I'm a firm believer of that) ... sending you good and healing thoughts! Linda

AJ GM said...

Oh gosh! Glad to hear you're ok! Paris is always worth the wait. And your health is always a priority! We can wait for quilting stories once you're better! All the best, Amy.

AJ GM said...

Oh gosh! Glad to hear you're ok! Paris is always worth the wait. And your health is always a priority! We can wait for quilting stories once you're better! All the best, Amy.

kshackabq said...

Glad you are okay! But bummer for the scare, and the lost trip : (

Beth Ferrier said...

I had heart burn and jaw pain, and it WAS a heart attack! Never did really have chest pain. But I am now sporting a fancy stent and glad to be living to tell about it. You were very smart to understand how the symptoms can be very different for women. Even though it messed up your trip, you did the right thing!

suz said...

It was smart of you to check, just in case. So sorry you missed your trip.

Susie Q said...

Bummer.... but great that it is all rescheduled.... wish I had such a great "travel agent".

Blog Archive