Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Submarine

I thought I'd better post something while I had the chance.  Like someone else around here, "I'm going into a submarine for a few weeks and won't available".  (that's a sports reference for all of you who don't know what the heck I'm talking about. For those of you who do know what I'm talking about - it still doesn't make much sense, does it?)

What it means is that 74 lbs. of fabric is being delivered by UPS tomorrow and, with a little help from some friends - we'll turn it into 4 new quilts for International Quilt Market.  We don't have much time.  I predict lots of streaming video and steaming espresso will be consumed here while I stitch.  There should still be leftover fabric after the 4 quilts - and I can't wait to show it to you, but you will just have to be patient.

What has happened around here since that last time?
 I had some time to work on my Star A Day quilt.  I hemmed and hawed about what color the  alternate blocks should be.  I tried red, blue, yellow, gold, and orange.  Then I wondered why I would consider getting 8 more yards of anything when I have tubs and tubs of scraps here.  The decision was made - shirting scraps to the rescue. It seemed only fitting since the stars were pieced from my scrap bins too.
 This is 1/9th of the top.  The directions wisely tell you to piece these together along the way - so when you are done with your last star - you will have only 9 blocks to piece together to make your quilt top instead of a bajillion stars.
 This is what I made from scraps on a recent project that will be in American Patchwork & Quilting next year.  The fabric is Bread and Butter by American Jane. I liked it so much, I used all the scraps to make this sewing machine cover.  SEE!  The new studio space is making me more productive!
 I even attempted clothing.  This is NOT in my wheelhouse.  I don't sew things that are 3 dimensional,  but I was intrigued by all the dress making going on in my Instagram feed.  I succumbed. The final product? Uh, it's quite functional, but how can I put it........not very flattering.  I'm glad I made it though.  The only thing that could remedy this is to take a pattern making/fitting class.  Maybe someday.
What else? This came in the mail - a surprise gift from Down Under.  Jen Kingwell knows I LOVE hand piecing and she sent me the pattern AND templates to hand piece Steam Punk and Glitter!  I wish I could dive right in - but I have some quilty projects ahead of them.  I have linked to Jen's Shop in Australia - Amitie Quilts. The pattern and templates are available in the US, but the few places I've checked are sold out.  I'm sure lots of quilt shops will be re-stocking soon if you don't want to deal with international shipping.  I know it never stops me :/

Think of me often in the next couple of weeks, won't you?

Laters,

Laurie

14 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Please do not totally disappear--I will miss you to much! The star quilt is beautiful and you were wise to select scraps from your own bins. Not familiar with this tool or blog but will take a look. Going to AQS in Chattanooga on Friday, maybe I will see the tool there.

Janet said...

Your star a day stars look wonderful in all of your scraps! I have to start mine yet.... I look forward to seeing your next fabric line :0) 74 lbs of fabric - oh I hope I dream about that tonight - lol! I'm sorry your experiment with sewing 3d didn't come out more positive - those pockets look fantastic!

Lisa S. said...

I agree, the submarine thing is a little weird. Whatever Jim wants, though. I love hand stitching bindings if you want any extra help.

crazy quilter said...

Thank you! I recently got this patterns and was wondering where I could find templates!! Just ordered from Australia!! Yippee!! Thank you again!

Hildy said...

Love everything you make! The star quilt is gorgous and the sewing machine cover is so cute too bad I have a hard case for mine and don't need a cover.
Enjoy playing with your new fabrics (but 74 lbs? That's a lot!)!

audrey said...

Ooh, love the scrappy backgrounds for your star quilt! Perfect.:)

Kristy said...

Ohhhh...I will be thinking of you as you head into your submarine. And will be excitedly awaiting to see what you have to show us when you come up for air! Have fun! Kristy

Jacqueline said...

Good luck and have fun. Hopefully it won't be too stressful in that submarine.

moosecraft said...

That star quilt is simply amazing with all of those shirting scraps! Love it!

woolwoman said...

OH - LOVE your star a day ! I need to take a plunge and start mine. I did buy the 9 yards of background because I am not a quilter and don't have scraps to pull from. A friend donated some M&S scraps to me so that was nice and the rest I am buying here and there. Love how it looks - enjoy your weekend - Mel

beth s said...

Your star a day has me inspired! Love it! enjoy the submarine ride.... ;)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your little stars are so charming--love the scrappy backgrounds too! Steampunk is on my bucket list also.

Vicky said...

It's always so exciting when you get your 74 lbs of fabric to see what new patterns you are sewing up! Have fun in your submarine!

www.top10essaywritingservicesreviews.blogspot.com said...

Star A Day quilt looks very great. Is it possible to buy it after you finish it? I'm very interested.

Blog Archive