Monday, May 4, 2015

Month 5 of The Austin Bluebird Sampler

This is the Month 5 addition to the Austin Bluebird Sampler quilt I am making.  You know that this version is from my scrap bin and it is all blue fabric.

What tips do I have for you on this section? Well, I found my 3 1/2" square ruler very, very useful.  Everything but the 2 flying geese and that one large half-square triangle are made up of 3 1/2" square unfinished units.  That makes sense since I designed this quilt on multiples of 3's.  All the pieced blocks finish to 3", 6", 9", or 12".  I made all these 3" half-square triangles and quarter-square triangles a bit large.  The instructions have you cut 3 7/8" squares and cut in half diagonally.  I just oogded it up a bit and made them 4" squares (you will have plenty of fabric in your kits to do this).  I cut the 4" squares in half diagonally and made just like the instructions say.  I then took my handy dandy 3 1/2" square ruler and trimmed them all to be perfect.  That, people... is the only way I get perfect piecing.  Make a bit bigger and trim to size.

The quarter square triangle instructions have you cut a 4 1/4" square and cut twice diagonally.  I oogded it up to 4 3/8" square, cut twice diagonally and trimmed down.  Easy peasy.


This is months 1-5 laid out.  Month 1, 2, and 3 are sewn together in 1 big block.  Months 4 and 5 are still separate.  After Month 6 is done - then this will all be in one piece.  It will be the left side of the quilt.

Laters,

Laurie

8 comments:

Julierose said...

this is absolutely stunning--I just love the blue and white....hugs, Julierose

Jacqueline said...

Beautiful.

moosecraft said...

ooooog-a! This quilt looks real pretty as a blue and white! Thanks again for the tips... much appreciated! :-)

Karen said...

I am new to quilting, doing Farm Girl Vintage, and nearly cried doing the first block as I didn't even know how to use the rulers that I had. Next block, I said what the hell I will give myself some "fabric room" and things went smoother and corners, triangles, final measurements got better. Not always on the money exactly but better. I felt like I might be breaking some quilting law (I have a problem with Type A personality and slight anxiety)so this post gave me heart. Calmed down with that second block and dreamed about quilting when I went to bed.

cocoquilts said...

I fell in love with your Austin Bluebird Sampler already but I find your blue colorway is irresistible! It is definitely on my list to make! I love that you give tips with each month! You are amazing!! I can't resist picking up your fabric in every line you design and I'm looking forward to Polka Dot and Paisleys too!!

Cathy said...

I just did part five and there is a mistake in the directions. If you follow the instructions under number five part A for the windmill , it rotates the opposite way from the photo. Then when you put it beside the hourglass block, the whole section ends up dark. I had to take the hourglasses off and rearrange them. The other choice was to made another windmill which was a lot more work.

Anonymous said...

I love this done in all blues. I am up to month six on my sampler kit. I show it to people every day and brag about the awesome, well written pattern. You gals rock!

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is an error in the instructions with the windmill.

Blog Archive