Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Month 2 of Austin Bluebird Sampler

Here I am to give a few tips on Month 2 of the Austin Bluebird Sampler.  This is what Month 2 is....

It's pretty basic.  There is a simple star with flying geese and a monkey wrench block with half square triangles.  There are 2 small quarter square triangle blocks, so far nothing that isn't simple.
We also have the flag block.  Here is what I did for my blue and white version (the original is just like the picture above).
I am working out of one box of scraps and options are limited. (this moving thing has been a challenge).  I had a small piece of this star fabric from Indigo Crossing and I'm using it instead of the appliquéd stars.  But, no worries...... here is one of my many, many, many appliquéd stars I have done.
I have used the template in Month 2 and traced my star onto the light fabric.  I cut out with an 1/8" seam allowance.  If you are new to appliqué, I think one of the first problems you might encounter is the seam allowance.  Most people want to cut a more generous seam allowance.  It's hard to get used to, but you really need an 1/8".  Any bigger and your seam allowance won't turn under smoothly.  You will have sharp angles and bumps on your edges.  This little seam allowance makes for smooth edges.  Take care not to handle it much after this so you won't have your edges unravel.  I have glue basted this star down onto the background with just a dot or two of basting glue.  You only need a tiny dot. (and it will eventually all wash out).


Next, I clip the seam allowance at all the inside points.  One clip, and right up to the drawn line.


I start on the flat side (or the flattest you can find) and work from right to left.  I'm right handed.  I take small stitches, turn the seam allowance as I go. Don't worry about anything except for the space of 2-3 stitches in front of the needle - that is all you need to turn at a time.  Notice that my stars have rounded points.  This is on purpose.  I find rounded shapes easier to appliqué than points.  Especially when they are small like this.  If you look at all my quilts - all the stars have rounded points.  

When I get to the inside point, I take 2 small stitches to secure it.

All finished!

This is another project I have been working on.  It's called Polka Dot Garden.  We will have this pattern ready next month.

This was a total scrap quilt.  And it you're wondering..... I still have lots of scraps left.

Laters,

Laurie

14 comments:

Tina said...

Great tips for the Austin Bluebird Sampler! Thanks so much!! Also, your new quilt top is just beautiful - perfect amount of appliqué and I love the colors. Beautiful!!

Vicky said...

Austin BB is next up for me. I'm real ready to just dive in and do it. (Maybe I'll start with Block 2!) I haven't needle turned in a couple of years, but I'm sure it's like riding a bicycle ... right? Thanks for the tips and, as always, the inspiration!

Pam said...

Your scrap bin must be awesome! I never seem to have enough lights/neutrals in mine. I'm still working on month eight :( that applique block whipped me! I think it was the tight inside curves that kicked my butt - I'd love to see some tips on appliqueing those. . . HELLOOOO Polka Dot Garden!

Strlady said...

Love the tips. I just cut my kit and have bagged my months in separate baggies so I can tackle them without feeling overwhelmed. I've been saving your tips so I have them as soon as I start (probably in the next couple of weeks).

Penny said...

Starting to work on my Austin Bluebird Sampler and so glad that the pattern for Polka Dot Garden is not available yet. I just looked at your Polka Dot Garden and know that I will want to make that right now, also!! Hard to work on two quilts at once, tho and get one completed in a timely manner. Oh, I just love your fabrics & patterns!!

Janet said...

I love your Polka dot garden. Such a fun, happy quilt :0)

Hildy said...

The Polka Dot Garden is wonderful! Love the colors and the playfullness of the pattern:-)

Nancy said...

Love the Polka Dot Garden quilt.

Janet said...

Polka Dot Garden looks so happy! Bet I can come up with plenty M&S of scraps myself!

Thelma said...

I can hardly wait for the Polka Dot Garden pattern, even though I've already got my freak on just looking at those narrow stems. Please let us know when it's available. Although I vaguely remember you're maybe out of the PDF business. I'll just have to wait for the paper version, those instant downloads spoil an impatient quilter. Spring has sprung for the day here, hope it's heading your way.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a fun scrap quilt! I tried to resist Austin Bluebird since I have a pile of unfinished BOM's, but your posts broke me down. I'm having my local quilt shop order a kit for me before it's too late!

lcworth said...

Hi Laurie, Thanks for the applique tips. I have sooo much trouble with really sharp inside points, so much so that I redesign the pattern Im working on to get rid of them. Would love to see more applique tips!

woolwoman said...

Polka dot garden is absolutely adorable!! Seems the move isn't cramping your creativity. Hey to Polly too ! Mel

Carrie said...

I love Polka Dot Garden! It's awesome and perfect!

Blog Archive