Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone - Irish or not.  Polly and I are 100% Irish. Irish American.  That is assuming you can believe all the family stories. (and being Irish - those stories tend to be a little exaggerated).  Anyway, we can call Ireland our ancestral home.  Have a great day!
Clifden Castle 

Have you seen these fabulous new videos by the Fat Quarter Shop featuring our fellow Moda designer - Jen Kingwell?  We love Jen and her work.  What is NOT to love? She uses great fabric and thread and she is a champion of handwork. Go Jen!

 Preview YouTube video Quilting with Aurifil 12 weight and 50 weight thread by Jen Kingwell - Fat Quarter ShopQuilting with Aurifil 12 weight and 50 weight thread by Jen Kingwell - Fat Quarter Shop

Preview YouTube video Learn to Quilt As You Go by Jen Kingwell - Fat Quarter ShopLearn to Quilt As You Go by Jen Kingwell - Fat Quarter Shop


Preview YouTube video How to Baste and Hand Quilt with Aurifil 12 weight by Jen Kingwell - Fat Quarter ShopHow to Baste and Hand Quilt with Aurifil 12 weight by Jen Kingwell - Fat Quarter Shop


I can't wait to try the cross stitch hand quilting! I love everything about these tutorials and I am heartened that I use the same tools and techniques as Jen.  All except the "sans hoop" part.  I need a hoop.  Obviously Jen does not - it doesn't matter, as she says - it's all what works for you.


I am looking forward to my next hand quilting project.  I will be using Aurifil 12wt thread to quilt this.  You might even find a couple cross stitches in it by the time I'm done.  Thanks for the inspiration Jen.


Laters,

Laurie

12 comments:

Elaine K said...

Happy St Paddy's, Laurie! Just watched the Jen Kingwell videos, too. I was pretty shocked she doesn't use a hoop, but it definitely works for her. Like you, I thought the X technique she showed looked very cool to try, so looking forward to seeing what you do with your wonderful new quilt... love how the verticle rectangles turned out. Have a great day! :)

shelley said...

love your lollipops ... Did you say there would be a kit?

Izzy said...

Very nice tutorials Laurie. I am also going to try the cross stitch method. I wonder if I can find a way to make the cross on both sides though, gonna experiment on that one.As always love your quilts and color choices.

Will you be selling the 12 weight thread ?? I dont see it at the quarter shop. Thanks , Izzy

Pam said...

Thank you for the links! These are great - Jen and Kimberly are so cute, aren't they? I love learning new ways to work on quilts and I'm seriously going to try the cross stitch for hand quilting. But hmmmm . . . no hoop?!?! That might feel too much like "no underwear" lol :) A very Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and Polly!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing not only the inspiration that you and Polly provide but also for sharing what inspies you! I have been anxious to find Aurifil 28 weight and 12 weight but have been unable to find a retail source. Any suggestions? I would add that the cotton darner needles you suggested in your big stitch tutorials make big stitch quilting so much easier than chenille needles. Thank you!

Izzy said...

Anonymouse :you can find the 28 weight at Jinnybeyer.com but they dont have the 12 weight, which is why I asked laurie if she will have it.

Laurie said...

I will have 12wt Aurfil in stock after quilt market. I will stock a few basic colors. Sorry it won't be sooner.
Thanks for asking.

You can try typing in Aurifil 12wt in the Etsy search. A few vendors have some in limited colors.

Laurie

Vicky said...

With your inspiration and now Jen Kingwell's, I am anxious to hand quilt something. I found the box with my hoops this week, so I'm almost ready to go. Thanks for pointing us to the videos. And, yes, please kit this quilt! It's awesome!

mascanlon said...

Oh how I love this quilt! Voting for the kit too, please. Watched the videos, they were great! Learning some great new tips.

moosecraft said...

Happy St. Patty's Day! Love how your new quilt is stitching up! Thanks so much for sharing the videos on the hand quilting... I'll definitely give the x's a try!

Every Stitch said...

Thanks so much for those links - great videos! I am especially inspired by the quilt- as -you -go hand quilting - how clever!
Your quilt top is beautiful - love everything about it :)

makes geese said...

Laurie...I don't know where to go to ask this question...so I will try here. I fell in love with the bunny border quilt in quitltmania magazine.I am in love with that quilt. However I have an excess of repro pinks,so mine will be pink and white. Anyway, what size are the stems? Do they finish at a 1/4"?
I can not wait to start this wonderful quilt.
Warm regards,
Barbara

Blog Archive