Friday, January 16, 2015

New Starts

I hope your year is starting out better than ours.  We have been under the weather.  It felt like it would never get better - but it has.  The 6 week bug has now been vanquished.

I had a great time with the Capital City Quilt Guild in Lansing Michigan yesterday.  Thanks to all who attended and put up with me.

We are now hard at work designing quilt patterns for our upcoming fabric line.  We just got a sneak peak at it today. Whee!  That means in approximately 6 weeks I will have lots and lots of pictures to show you as I cut, press, sew, and unsew our new creations.

I'm attempting a new scrap quilt - but I'm not sure how it's going. I'm winging it.  I have nothing drawn on graph paper and it's a new, exciting, scary place to be.  At first I thought I might try some of these....

These are small - 1 1/2" from side to side. I tried to baste the traditional way and was not happy.
I posted my dismay on Instagram and instantly got lots of good advice.  First, glue basting seems to be the best way for these tiny, irregular shapes and it always helps to watch videos of people who know what they are doing.  Also, you are not supposed to baste the bottom edges.  Whoops.

I decided against the clamshells for now and went down this path.....

More will be revealed.  As soon as I know what I'm doing. Hah.

I have heard from a little birdy (possibly an Austin Bluebirdy) that the Austin Bluebird Sampler kits will be shipping soon.  In the meantime, we do have the complete pattern in our Etsy store.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Laters

Laurie

9 comments:

Janny said...

Oh wow, love the little clam shells! I would use C&T Wash Away papers, they can be left in! Use Sewline glue pen because it is not as "wet" as other glue sticks. (That is how I do my Hexi's.) But no matter what your quilt will be stunning, because they always are!

Now are you hand piecing the other little piece? (Again Stunning!)

Vicky said...

I need to take hand piecing lessons from you! This projects looks wonderful, and I'll bet I have a *bit* of M&S fabric around here I could use! :)

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Glad you are feeling better!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Can't wait to see what you decide--I do love clamshells though! I hope you continue to feel better--take care of yourself.

Sharrieboberry said...

I have seen some clam-piecing on Inklingo lately. They are lovely no matter how they are done. I like the squares you went with.

farmhousequilter8 said...

Can you tell us the name of the new line. You know I love everything you all do. Paula in KY

Annelein said...

Designing a new quilt is quit a challenge.

Just love what you have shown sofar...

Carol Sc said...

Loved seeing all your quilts "in person" at our guild meeting. I like what you are doing with the squares and look forward to watching the progress. Just heard Scherzer is going to Washington --- hope the Tigers don't miss him too much!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Your work is amazing!

Blog Archive