I finished sewing the binding onto Mrs. Billings Coverlet last night. Bill asked me how long it took to make. It's hard to say. I started it 2 years ago, but I have made over a dozen quilts in between. If I wasn't making those other quilts - I was stitching on this.
Besides the background fabric (a tan on cream print from Indigo Crossing), I used my scrap box exclusively. It is about 99% Minick and Simpson scraps. A few others found their way in also. There is a toile that I picked up in Paris. There are a couple of 3 Sisters pinks, a couple of tiny bits of Japanese taupes, and a black print from Brannock and Patek.
The superb acrylic templates made by Karen Styles from Somerset Patchwork made this a joy. I could rotary cut out every shape and mark a dot on every seam intersection. This allowed me to hand piece at my leisure. There are hexagons too, and I learned a bit about those on this quilt - a new way to baste both by stitching and by glue.
I hand quilted it using my 12" hoop, size 12 between needles, and the Request weight cotton batt from Dream Batting. Most of the quilting was unmarked as I used the pieces themselves to guide me, but I occasionally marked and I used both a Sewline mechanical pencil and a blue washout marker. All the markings, from what I can see - came out.
I threw it in the washing machine this morning (always a leap of faith no matter how much you rely on good tools and supplies). I tossed in 4 Color Catcher sheets. None of the fabric were pre-washed, but since they were 99.9% Moda fabrics - I knew from experience that I was going to get good results. I did. The Color Catcher sheets came out a bit gray, but no color ran anywhere. The "gray" could be the result of it sitting in my lap, and being handled by me for 2 years. It also spent time on the floor, on tables, and a certain dog cuddled up on it occasionally.
We've sold a few Mrs. Billings pattern sets and kits since I started posting about this quilt. I hope you all have as much fun as I did. What I can recommend, if you don't already have one, is that you get a turntable cutting mat and a rotary cutter with a small head. Rotary cutting around these small templates without the turntable can be frustrating. I couldn't believe how much faster and easier it was once I got mine.
I am actually looking forward to my next long term project.
This is the best photo of the whole thing. It was still a bit damp when I hung it up and I didn't want to leave it this way, as it would dry a bit wonky.
She is finishing drying on the dining room table. Eventually she will be hung on the wall, but she travels to a trunk show before that.
Thanks to you all for putting up with my obsession the pasts 2 years. Now on to something else!