Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Mrs. Billings is Finished

That kind of sounds like an Agatha Christie title doesn't it?  It's not.  This title is a bit more joyous than that.
I finished sewing the binding onto Mrs. Billings Coverlet last night.  Bill asked me how long it took to make.  It's hard to say.  I started it 2 years ago, but I have made over a dozen quilts in between.  If I wasn't making those other quilts - I was stitching on this.  

Besides the background fabric (a tan on cream print from Indigo Crossing), I used my scrap box exclusively.  It is about 99% Minick and Simpson scraps.  A few others found their way in also.  There is a toile that I picked up in Paris.  There are a couple of 3 Sisters pinks, a couple of tiny bits of Japanese taupes, and a black print from Brannock and Patek.

The superb acrylic templates made by Karen Styles from Somerset Patchwork made this a joy.  I could rotary cut out every shape and mark a dot on every seam intersection.  This allowed me to hand piece at my leisure.  There are hexagons too, and I learned a bit about those on this quilt - a new way to baste both by stitching and by glue.  

I hand quilted it using my 12" hoop, size 12 between needles, and the Request weight cotton batt from Dream Batting.  Most of the quilting was unmarked as I used the pieces themselves to guide me, but I occasionally marked and I used both a Sewline mechanical pencil and a blue washout marker.  All the markings, from what I can see - came out.

I threw it in the washing machine this morning (always a leap of faith no matter how much you rely on good tools and supplies).  I tossed in 4 Color Catcher sheets.  None of the fabric were pre-washed, but since they were 99.9% Moda fabrics - I knew from experience that I was going to get good results.  I did.  The Color Catcher sheets came out a bit gray, but no color ran anywhere.  The "gray" could be the result of it sitting in my lap, and being handled by me for 2 years.  It also spent time on the floor, on tables, and a certain dog cuddled up on it occasionally.

We've sold a few Mrs. Billings pattern sets and kits since I started posting about this quilt.  I hope you all have as much fun as I did.  What I can recommend, if you don't already have one, is that you get a turntable cutting mat and a rotary cutter with a small head.  Rotary cutting around these small templates without the turntable can be frustrating.  I couldn't believe how much faster and easier it was once I got mine.

I am actually looking forward to my next long term project.
This is the best photo of the whole thing.  It was still a bit damp when I hung it up and I didn't want to leave it this way, as it would dry a bit wonky.




She is finishing drying on the dining room table.  Eventually she will be hung on the wall, but she travels to a trunk show before that.  

Thanks to you all for putting up with my obsession the pasts 2 years.  Now on to something else!

Laters

Laurie

59 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow. Just WOW. She's Stunning. Congratulations!

Bev said...

This is a masterpiece quilt! To.Die.For! Fabulous! Amazing! Not enough descriptive words for this quilt! So impressive! Love it!

audrey said...

Really incredible quilt! Love the colors you made this in and all the special piecing. Just beautiful!:)

Meg said...

This is really just breath-taking, and so inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Linda said...

SHE'S A BEAUTY!

msstitcher1214@gmail.com

Mary said...

Absolutely beautiful and breathtaking! Congratulations and a job well done!

Mary

Janet said...

Your Mrs Billings is simply BEAUTIFUL! Your lovely fabrics and your gorgeous handqulted stitches are such a pleasure to see :0) I wish I could be at the trunk show to see it in person!! I can't wait to see what your next long term project will be!

Pat said...

Amazing and oh so beautiful. Truly a masterpiece! Thanks for taking us on your journey.

Jacqueline said...

OMG

Cynthia Woodham said...

I have looked at this pattern at few times and loved it and wondered if I had the time to do it. Maybe after quilting my Farmer's Wife Sampler this could be my next long term project

badlandsquilts said...

Stunning and inspirational, as always thanks for sharing.

Chookyblue...... said...

I have enjoyed watching your progress on Mrs Billings.........she is beautiful........congrats.......

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

WOW! She's beautiful and worth every stitch. Thanks for the tip on turntable cutting mat

Cissa K said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I am still working on mine. Very inspiring to finish it now. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

WOW. GORGEOUS. Every BEAUTIFUL word has already been writtin. Mrs. Billings is breathtaking. PRICELESS !!! How you must feel about this wonderful accomplishment. Amazing. Good for you! You should be so proud!!!
Pam, Dexter.

Sharon said...

Wow, what an accomplishment is such a short time, considering your busy schedule. It's gorgeous.

Carrie said...

What everybody else has already said - we're running out of superlatives! Congratulations - Mrs. Billings is spectacular and long live obsessions like this! (So much better than the CK kind...)

So... whatcha makin' next?

Mrs. Billings... meet Jane Stickle. :)

Susan W said...

Good job! We always got a box of chocolates at Christmas; it became "the good job candy box" for our 3 kids.Everytime they did a "good job", they got to choose a piece.
Today you get to choose! Hope you have some "good job" candy boxes nearby! It's beautiful and inspiring.

Deb G. in VA said...

She is beautiful! I have the pattern and templates, now I just need to decide on fabric and get started. I'm sure it will take me a lot longer than it took you!

kristie said...

Absolutely stunning! I am making one too, but have it hibernating while making a few other quilts....yours has made me want to start again!!

Janet said...

Wow. Wow wow wow.

Congrats on the finish - clearly time well spent.

Carrie P. said...

wow! it is fabulous

Gayle said...

Kind of bittersweet finishing this beautiful long term project. What an heirloom quilt - I absolutely love it!

normajean53 said...

Very beautiful!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congratulations on your beautiful Mrs. Billings--it's stunning! I have the pattern and templates, but haven't been able to decide on my color scheme--guess I just have to jump in and start cutting.

Buckeye Quilter said...

Wow Laurie, it looks wonderful! I had the quilt hoop from your Etsy Shop on my Christmas list and when you said it was on sale I tried to find out if someone was maybe getting me one, but I'm not sure. I was going to buy one at the discount price, but there are no more in the shop. I hope I get one or that you will have more soon! I am always afraid to throw quilts in the washer, but they have always turned out okay. I think the fabrics are much better now. Thanks Moda.

Laurie said...

@Buckeye Quilter (sorry - I couldn't email you personally)

More hoops are on order and should be in stock next week. We did sell out during our 5 day sale, but we will have more hoops, needles, and hera markers very soon. Thanks!

Tina said...

Oh my! This is absolutely beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Simply AMAZING !!!!!

MaryLiz Schoenfeld said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing your journey and CONGRATULATIONS!

Kim said...

Wowzers!!! It's stunning! Congrats!

the girlfriend gap said...

I can't even imagine how beautiful this must be in real life.
Amazing. Janita

kshackabq said...

It's beautiful, Lori. Truly a work of art. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sherri said...

It's just an incredible quilt...I have sure enjoyed following along with your journey. And I don't know how you could let it go to a trunk show so soon...unless you are going with it!

Anita said...

Just beautiful! Been loving this quilt from the beginning and love it even more now that it's done :)

Sue Bennett said...

Just WOW..

My colors also.

suebennett1975@gmail.com

moosecraft said...

Breathtakingly gorgeous!!!

Atelier Blanc nord-ouest said...

votre quilt est impressionnant. Quel magnifique ouvrage. Bravo !

robbi buckles said...

Absolutely beautiful... A work of art. You are an inspiration to me!

Maxine said...

Most beautiful quilt. This is a great reward for all your work.

SandyG said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

helen said...

So beautiful!

Chelle (Dana) said...

I bought the pattern kit from your etsy shop awhile back. I've been trying to decide on fabrics and want to start around the new year. Can you tell me what rotating cutting mat you used? Your Mrs Billings is gorgeous. I'm getting anxious to start mine.

lissa said...

Laurie,
You really should be proud of yourself. Your quilt is a piece of art and a true treasure.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I drape my irish chain over the dining room table as the dryer keeps rolling it into a ball. The one bad thing about cotton batting, but the drape makes it all worth it Mrs. Billings is just gorgeous!

Me and My Stitches said...

This quilt is just gorgeous and amazing! Can't wait to see what you do for an encore!

AnnieO said...

Gorgeous! Congratulations on finishing Mrs Billing's long journey :)

Susan said...

OMG !!! So beautiful and so much work. WOW, what an inspiration you are.

momto1 said...

Stunning. Just stunning. Not much more to say. Thanj you for the inspiration.

Karen Styles said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! your Mrs B is truly amazing. I hope to one day see her in person... and I am so glad that you enjoyed making my quilt.

Sherry said...

Laurie, your Mrs. Billings quilt is absolutely stunning. You should be so proud. I would love to see it sometime. I can't wait to see what your next adventure will be.

mascanlon said...

Just am amazing quilt! So inspiring, thank you for bringing us along the last 2 yrs.

woolwoman said...

The Mrs. is absolutely smashing ! I am not a quilter but even if I was - I'm not sure I would tackle this beauty. It's stunning and definitely has the M&S feel to it. Hope you are enjoying the season - Mel

Elaine K said...

Hi Laurie,

Your quilt is truly a work of art. Absolutely beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely stunning! And amazing lifetime accomplishment!

Frog Quilter said...

Love it. So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Truly stunning!!! An amazing quilt.... Your hand piecing and quilting are perfection! Thanks for sharing!

Anna Galuzova said...

Oh gosh!!! Amazing quilt!!! The gratest work!!!

Pauline Perry said...

Mrs Billings is absolutely stunning - congratulations - what a masterpiece.
Pauline
perry94022 at hotmail dot com

Blog Archive