Friday, August 15, 2014

Zip Code


Zip Code is finished, washed, and just about dry……..  It was fun.  I used straight lines marked with a hera marker on the house blocks and then quilted a large cable in all the sashings.  If I've never said this before - marking a quilt that is mostly solid fabric is a dream.  Just a very light touch of the Sewline marking pencil shows up beautifully.  Now it's on the Mrs. Billings.  I have no idea how I will quilt it.  I will just wing it as I go.

What else? Well, Polly has been talking about this movie all week.  She couldn't wait to see it. Yesterday she did, and she loved it.  Today I went and I loved it too.  What's not to like? Beautiful French countrysides….Helen Mirren…..lots of gorgeous food….Lasse Hallstrom direction….and there's some romance too.

The Hundred-Foot Journey

At one point in the movie the young man above, Hassan, reads aloud a recipe from a classic french cookbook. He never says what it is, but as he recites the ingredients I knew what it was - a Cherry Clafouti (a baked cherry custard).  Oooh, the cherries here this summer have been wonderful.  I came home and made one.  Thanks for the inspiration!
Have a great weekend.  And eat some cherries!

Laurie

11 comments:

Cathy said...

You are such a tease! Your cherry clafouti looks so yummy! I could end up drooling on my keyboard.

Unknown said...

Cherry season here is about over. The cherries in the stores are tired looking. But there is always next year!

Strlady said...

Saw the movie last weekend and love, love, loved it. I'm a bit of foodie and cooking movies and a treat (no pun intended). This one hit the mark.

Janet said...

I love the cable quilting on Zipcode! Just the right amount of curvy texture :0) I can't wait to see your progress on Mrs Billings!! Anything baked with cherries... YUM!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I'm so amazed at how quickly you can do all the hand quilting...and the cherry clafouti looks delish!

Sherrill said...

Boy that's really mean to share a dessert picture like that on your blog!! MEAN! LOL Looks fantabulous!

Lynn McIndoe said...

I read the book of the 100 Foot Journey, and look forward to seeing the movie.

Rebecca Stevens said...

Zip Code turned out great. Thanks for the tip about the movie I'll try to remember ;-D and for the recipe. My only problem is to keep from eating the cherries so there will be enough for the clafouti!

AnnieO said...

Weren't you just starting the quilting mere days ago? Fast finish and it looks wonderful. That movie sounds like one my mom and I would enjoy together.

Carrie said...

One of my favorite desserts - EVER!

I've been trying to get to that movie for a week now... I think I will have to make time this week. Thank you for that... I think. ;)

Anonymous said...


Beautiful! You quilt so fast you must get tired of having to move your frame! You are truly an inspiration! thank you for sharing!Pam T., Dexter.

Blog Archive