Saturday, August 2, 2014

Saturday in Ann Arbor

It started this morning at the Ann Arbor's Farmer's Market - which by coincidence is celebrating it's 95th birthday today….







\
August at the Farmer's Market is an embarrassment of riches. There is no way to take advantage of it all. I could have taken a ton more pictures, (and maybe even some of them could have been in focus) but my arms were full.

Next I wandered across the street to Zingerman's to get an iced coffee.  The camera slipped and I took a picture of the street.
I wonder each time I cross it - it has lasted over 120 years and they have repaved the the pavement streets in town dozens and dozens of times.  Hmmmmmm.  It's a bit bumpy, but it sure is lovely.

It was extra crowded this morning - even for an August Market morning.  There is a little event going on in town.  Seriously, Ann Arbor might be the most cosmopolitan of mid-size Midwestern cities.

The hubbub started yesterday and it will go on for ….. who knows…..

I wish I could have gotten you a picture of the "tent/bar" they put up.  It's larger than some universities.
The rest of these photos come via our local online newspaper.  The roads are blocked off to the stadium and into downtown.  Great for pedestrians - but not so great for lazy, would-be photographers.

Main street? No - it's something called a football pitch I think.
This is another pitch I believe.  There have been some snarky comments about it.  Honestly, I have no idea what any of this is about.  
This was the band that played downtown last night.  In 21 years of living in this house through a multitude of Michigan football games and Art Fairs - we have never "heard" the bands before.  Our house is exactly 1 mile away from this stage. We heard it last night.  Thank you Flint Eastwood for the bedtime serenade. 

Are we going? No. Will we watch on tv? I have no idea, but I sure hope all the local businesses are appreciative.  What will I be doing?  Some baking first of all.  I scored cherries, blackberries, and blueberries at the market.  Then I'll be working on Zip Code.
Laurie

9 comments:

moosecraft said...

Wow! All that brilliant color of fresh flowers and produce! Lucky you! Quilting in the evenings is more my speed too! lol!

Karen M said...

I really miss being able to zip over to AA for the fun events. I've been in KY for 5 years now. Sigh. Thanks for sharing.

Anita said...

Love your pics and your hand quilting :)

Karrie S said...

They have a really good Thai place in Kerrytown. I always wondered how long the brick road has been there! I should really take time out and go to the Farmer's Market. Those tomatoes look so yummy!

Judy in Michigan said...

You make me want to jump in the car and head to AA - maybe next weekend. Love your quilting - did you mark with a henna(?) marker??

Sharon said...

I love the farmers market…I always buy too much when I'm there!
Really liking the hand quilting….

klk said...

Thanks for the pictures of the Farmers' Market. We lived in Ann Arbor for several years and I really miss Saturday mornings at the market and breakfast at the Broken Egg.

Pam said...

Lol - Hard to be annoyed by Flint Eastwood when it looks like they're having so much fun :) Thanks for sharing photos from a different type of "Market" - Although I also enjoy the pics from that OTHER market. Hope to see lots more of Zip Code - one photo is really just a tease!!

Ida from Central PA said...

If I had only known (remembered!!!)

I was in town for the Futbol match! :)

We stayed Friday night in Belleville, and Saturday night at the conference center near Zingerman's Roadhouse.

Friday, after the soccer teams practice, we walked around downtown and quasi-enjoyed the festivities (the music wasn't very good in our opinions), and had dinner outside on the sidewalk of the Blue Nile.

For my next visit I'll be staying in the Frank Lloyd Wright house. :)

Blog Archive