Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Last Masking Tape Update

I, along with you, look forward to the day when I can post a picture of this quilt without the masking tape holding down the curling edges.  Today is not the day.

Here is my Mrs. Billings top ALMOST done.  Everything except the last border.  If you are new to this…. it isn't pressed yet.  That's why the edges curl and I've tacked it down with tape.  No pressing until the last border is on - one more to go!

The last border is a bit of a hurdle though…… lots and lots of hexies.



Some are fussy cut, and some are not.  I must say, these have been a lot of fun.  I wonder how many I can get done before I have to take a break on this and work on our new quilt patterns?

I've had so many questions about this quilt and the making of it.  I'm having a grand time.  Besides the notions that I mentioned last time (lazy susan cutting board and small rotary cutter) I have a couple more suggestions if you are interested in making something like this.  Little grippy dots for the templates…...
This simple little notion has made all the difference in ease of cutting.  I even had to do a little surgery on one to get teeny, tiny pieces for the hexie template.  It works like a charm.   I also recommend the Sewline glue stick pen!!!  Glue basting the hexies instead of sewing through the paper is a dream!

And I have some other good news about the Mrs. Billings Coverlet quilt….. we are getting the pattern kits back in stock!  They are on their way from Down Under and I should be able to ship again next week.  This is the perfect project for stitching and watching the Olympics.

Laurie

19 comments:

Janet said...

I love to see your progress with this quilt - it looks amazing! Your hexies look wonderful as well - I see a few of my favorite fabrics from some of your older lines :0) You design such lovely fabric!

Anonymous said...

What a progress you´ve made! Great pictures as always.
Greetings,
Jana

Helen said...

I am amazed by this quilt. So many pieces! And you are making progress even with everything else you have going. I love the colors! And I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

Every Stitch said...

It is just stunning - congratulations on such wonderful work! Nice to hear your tips for the hexagons too - they are clearly expertly constructed.
Hilda

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Beautiful! I am a newbie to EPP and hexies ... addicted!!! Have you hand quilted any tops you've glued? I worry about whether the glue will make it difficult to hand quilt (I hand quilt exclusively).

Susan Kane said...

My eyes are almost swirling! What detail. You rule!

Sherrill said...

Oh my GOSH!! If I were doing that, a 'grand' time would not even be a thought in my head! I would've given up long ago I'm quite sure!! But yours looks FANTASTIC!!

PamKittyMorning said...

I can't believe you're almost done! it looks fantastic!

Karen Styles said...

Go Laurie! It's nearly there....... I love it!

Carrie said...

WOW! You rock! I think you need to call this quilt Mrs. Simpson because you're the one making it. I know... I know... it's based on... whatever. Your piecing, your fabric, your name! LOL

In all seriousness - it's spectacular! (Insert little emoji for applause!)

Miss Jean said...

Wow!!!!!!!

Kyle said...

Your quilt is totally awesome. Love all your tips. Would you share what hexagon templates you're using?

The Michigonians said...

i love it!!! Looks like you have been using your snow time to good use. Stay warm.

pandchintz said...

Oh Laurie, you're so close!! Keep going, keep going!! (I'm so glad mine is done!!)

Laurie said...

Kyle,

The papers that the pattern uses are the Busy Finger Patchwork papers. The size of the hexagon is 5/8". The Busy Finger papers are "shiny" and they seem to tolerate the glue pen very, very well.

Thanks for asking

Laurie

Caro said...

Just stunning!

sue said...

Love the quilt top and watching grow as you post updates!

Tazzie said...

Mrs Billings is looking just wonderful, you're really on the home stretch now!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Adria Donovan said...

Great use of masking tape, awesome stuff!!

Blog Archive