Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Saint Germain

While we are still working on the patterns that feature our yet to be debuted fabric collection Grant Park.... There is one pattern ready that isn't dependent on that particular fabric.  A scrappy applique quilt, Saint Germain was made mostly from my scrap bin.
The above is the digital version of the quilt - made by the genius Lisa.  I was still in progress with the quilt when the above was due for the printer.  Here is the top that I finished last week.
I've started the quilting and I'm using the big stitch technique and I expect to be done with it this weekend!  Pretty exciting!



The pattern is available for download HERE.  The quilt finishes 63" x 70" (so not a huge commitment).  This is where all those orange peels I was making last month ended up.  I also have cut a kit from the fabrics that I used.  Same fabrics as above (the orange peels are made from scraps, so some of those pieces are irregularly cut - but there is more than enough to make this quilt).  Yep, only one kit - but it can be found HERE.  

This is a wonderful pattern to tackle YOUR stash.  

Saint Germain is named after a district in Paris where Polly and I stayed in April.  As you can see, it was a very inspiring trip.  

THE KIT IS SOLD OUT - BUT I'M FINAGLING MORE FABRIC AND I'LL BE ABLE TO POST SOME MORE KITS ON ETSY IN A FEW DAYS.  THANKS EVERYONE!

Laurie

14 comments:

Helen said...

Saint Germain is so pretty. But oh my gosh--so many pieces! I do like the big stitch quilting with it.

WoolenSails said...

That is gorgeous and would be beautiful on my bed, it is also my last name, lol.

Debbie

Pam P said...

Really excited for this one :) And I love the "work in progress" photos! Just a few years ago, I'd have fainted at the thought of all of that applique - Now I can't seem to get enough!

SharoninStitches said...

Ooh la la. So gorgeous!

Janet said...

Oh wow!! I love it!! I don't know how you come up with so many amazing designs! I can't wait to see what comes next. Thanks for all the inspiration!!

Sharon S said...

This is really stunning! I love the big stitch quilting too!

Vicky said...

Stop it, Laurie! You're making my to-do list SO long! Love everything about this quilt! Yep, it's on the list now!

Tina said...

Gorgeous!!!

Tina said...

I am going to be stalking your Etsy store ;)

Debby said...

Question, please about your big stitch method. It appears you are using a lap hoop. Are you pinning and basting first? I would like to try the big stitch method, but I am not sure the steps you are taking to do this. Thanks for your info and any suggestions you might have.

Laurie said...

Debby

Yes I basted the quilt first then I am quilting it in a hoop. I have basted just about any which way you can. I've sewn basted, pin basted, spray basted, and have had it basted by a long arm. Any of these will do. This one is spray basted. Any quilt that I do that is spray basted - I just make sure I wash after it is all quilted. Spray basting and pin basting are the easiest, but all the pins get in the way on a hoop. (I do always pin up the edges with any method as I like to have the backing and batting oversize and the edges folded and then pinned) I like the backing and batting oversize so that when I get to the edges there is room to put my hoop. A long armer who will baste for me is ideal, but usually time is a factor and once the top is made - I want to start quilting immediately. I hope this helps.

Debby said...

Thanks for the info on big-stitch quilting. I hope to use your suggestions soon!

Sarah said...

I've been using the big stitch on a quilt, but find it is much slower than my normal quilting. I'm unable to do the "rocker" stitch because I can no longer prick my underneath finger (diabetic & blood thinners). So I've been making one stitch at a time. The quilt looks nice, but do you have any suggestions to help me speed things up a bit?

PamKittyMorning said...

I honestly could not love it more. I wish I was a handwork person, actually more like I wish I was a preparation person. I love this so much, probably because of the nice pops of yellow or maybe it's the light and darkness of it or maybe it's just your genius unfolded again. I could go on but you see my point. Its amazing and I am in awe.

Blog Archive