Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Paris - part II

 Can you tell that we had glorious weather? This was the view off of our hotel balcony.  We were in the Saint Germain district, just across from a park and the exquisite Bon Marche department store. Shopping at Bon Marche and the incredible gourmet food store adjacent to it - made us feel like Parisiennes.

 Our hotel was lovely and had a wonderful breakfast every morning.  Very cosmopolitan. I took a quick picture of the cereal and milk buffet.  In case you can't read all the offerings there was organic whole milk, organic skim milk, sheep's milk, goat's milk, and mare's milk. We did not indulge.
 Sunday was spent at the Paris flea markets.  Yes, our fantasy of shopping the flea markets came true. The picture above was the label around some antique fabrics and we were told it explained the factory and era from which the "tissue" originated from.
 No visit to Paris would be complete without a visit to the Eiffel Tower.  We did not go up in the elevator, we just walked the area and took in some people watching.

 Soon we were on a boat for a tour of the Seine.  I know this isn't news, and I know it's obvious - but let me tell you - Paris is one beautiful place. It is hard not to be swept up in the romance.
 My one regret is what we couldn't experience more of.  The Lourve, the Musee d' Orsay, and Montmartre. Perhaps next time - if we should be so lucky.
 After a walk along the Champs-Elysees we stopped at the famous tea house - Laduree.  This was a sampling of the huge selection of pastries.  They are famous for their macarons.  I just know I had the most elegant iced coffee in the history of mankind there.  I will spend the summer trying to recreate it.
We were tipped off to this steak house that was near our hotel.  The le Relais de l'Entrecote.  They have one item on the menu - steak and frites.  The restaurant opened each evening at 7:30 and this was the line at 7:25.  When a restaurant does only one thing - and does it well, it's amazing.  You notice we are talking a lot about food.  It's hard not to when discussing Paris.  People eat very well in Paris and they eat many small courses throughout the day.  We couldn't help but notice the most elegant women, eating - how shall I say this - quite enthusiastically.  They were all elegant, thin, and beautifully dressed. I am hoping to come back in my next life as a Parisienne.  Oh, the clothes! Oh, the shoes!!  Polly and I developed a deep and abiding shoe envy.

Our stay in Paris was amazing, but too short.  Soon we were on our way to Nantes and the Pour l'Amour du Fil show - and the debut of our new book.

Quilts and Rugs by Polly Minick and Laurie Simpson
More on Nantes tomorrow

Laurie

9 comments:

Cathy said...

I visited Paris two years ago. Your photos and commentary make me want to go back...now!

Library Gal Quilts said...

So happy for you two! Sounds extra wonderful to have lovely food and views. I would have eaten one of thowe red polka dot pastries for sure! Have fun and the new books looks fantastique!!

PamKittyMorning said...

Oh my, you did all the wonderful places. Did you buy a bunch of cool old stuff? I could die thinking about it. I think one of my fav things was that boat ride, it was dusk and you could hear the music people were playing on the banks of the river, picnicking and some folks were dancing. I think of that when I need a 'happy place' to hide out in for a respite. I would love to go back. It was magical, right?

Brenis said...

Laurie, I am sitting here salivating! Lol! What a wonderful time you two must have had! I am going on a dream trip in July, and we will be in Dordogne and the surrounding country side for ten days, and then in Paris for a week!! Definitely spending a few days at the museums! I can barely stand the wait!! Your pictures and descriptions are wonderful, and making me even more excited if that's even humanly possible! Lol! Needless to say I won't be dieting while there! :) Can't wait for your next post! :)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your visit sounds wonderful--I hope to be lucky enough to travel there myself someday. I would kill to browse the flea markets.

Carrie said...

Never mind the boats! What did you buy?!? Did you take pictures of the shoes?

As much as I loved looking at the pastries, I think I could have eaten my weight in bread. When you figure out how to reproduce the coffee from Laduree - and I know you will - you're going to share the details, right? :)

Vicky said...

I sure hope you snagged some of that old fabric for a memory quilt of your trip! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Susan W said...

C'est tres bon! Merci!

Christelle said...

Did you think how exhausting it is to be a Parisienne? ... have to dress up, make up and do your hair just to get your bread ... which is every day !!
I liked the simplicity in the States I had to learn that you can be invited for a BBQ (OMG!) and that you could go in short and sneakers (OMG!) ... I 'm still laughing about the only rule my friend came up with about americain fashion "No white pants after Labour Day" ... I can live with that...still wondering if it's true :)

Blog Archive