Monday, May 13, 2013

Madeleines

Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day.  We are crossing things off lists and making piles to pack in our suitcase (Just call me Suitcase Simpson).  The ride to the airport on Thursday will be very, very early to get to Spring International Quilt Market 2013 in Portland Oregon.  As much as we needed a little break from traveling, we can't wait to get to Portland and meet up with all of our friends and colleagues.  One of the best part of our business is hanging out with these other fabric fools.

But, back to Mother's Day...... my gift from step-daughter Lorelei and her husband Dan came on Saturday.  It was a lovely mint green Laduree box - just like the ones all of those scrumptious treats are packaged in.  (apologies to all you Francophiles. I'm not sure how to make the accent over the first "e" on my very American keyboard).

I was expecting macarons when I opened the box - but it was better.  A cookbook for all the wonderful things served there.  Alas, no recipe for the iced coffee.  I guess they figure any fool could figure that out.  Heh, want to make a wager on that?  Anyway, on our many visits to different boulangeries and pastisserie's, and especially Laduree in France with Polly - Polly asked me if I had ever made madeleines.  I never have.  She said her only attempt at baking them wasn't successful. A very interesting and easy recipe for madeleines is in the cookbook.  A madeleine pan from Williams Sonoma was purchased and these are a hit!  Polly is baking these today too!
The recipe, while simple, is very detailed.  A 390 degree oven is required.  Not 375 or 400, but 390. Check.  Buttering, then chilling the pan - and finally flouring the pan is specified.  Check.  Making the batter the night before and refrigerating is demanded.  Check.  Who am I to question Laduree?  May is a lovely time of year to have people over for tea, isn't it?



Laurie

9 comments:

Diane said...

they look scrumptious.. I am going shopping with my daughter later this week and there is a William-Sonoma store where we're going (how convenient!)
I read the recipe--I didn't know lemons could be waxed or unwaxed!

Izzysquilts said...

Laurie you need the Ronco frantic suitcase packer LOL !!

Vicky said...

Those look wonderful! Might have to give those a whirl. Word has an accent egu in their symbols but I couldn't figure out how to add it to blogger without cutting and pasting. Sorry!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Mmmm--they look yummy! We have a quilt shop not too far away that serves the French Financiers pastries in their coffee shop. I looked into making them at home, but after some research (http://www.breadtopia.com/financier-pastry/)
I decided I would just treat myself at the quilt shop!

kathiquilts said...

for all the domestically challenged out there-- Walmart (of all places !!!!) makes a very nice madeleine. They come in a sweet little cello box of 18 for $3.99. Not quite as good as homemade, but great in a pinch!! May have to ask, not all the Walmart stores carry them --

Pilgrim at Kerjacob said...

Have you received my mail from France about THE dress?

Miss Jean said...

We have a French bakery near us that serves Madeleines. I bought the pans to make my own so I'll try your recipe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

American Keyboards have secret tricks. An é is created by holding down the "alt" key while typing the numbers 130. I only know this trick because I have a good friend named Reneé and she taught me. Have a great time at Quilt Market!

April @ Prairie Queens

Sharrieboberry said...

I make a mean iced coffee. I cold brew the coffee. It makes the coffee very smooth in favor. Try the Pioneer Woman's recipe; that's what started my iced coffee madness.

Blog Archive