Thursday, December 6, 2012

New Shoes


How has your week been?  It's been very good here.  I've gotten a little work done on some projects while waiting for 2 different ones to be mailed to me.  It seems the secret to being productive is to have something to work on at all times.  I finished the 2nd block of the Spirit of Sacagawea Block of The Month class.

While stitching on this and other projects I listened to an audio book - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  Whoo-whee.  One third of the way through I thought the characters were annoying and insipid.  Halfway through things got VERY interesting.  All I will say is that if you are looking for a feel-good holiday read - don't go near this, but if you want a devious thriller - jump right in.


Bill and I are packing for a short trip for a hockey tournament.  We are looking forward to it as we had another little hockey event planned that is now been cancelled.  The Winter Classic was to be played right here in Ann Arbor on New Years Day, but a little disagreement between millionaires and bigger millionaires put a kibosh on that.  Boo.

I added another border or two to Mrs. Billings Coverlet.  The next border involves hexagons.  While I was at Happiness is Quilting in McKinney Texas last month, Wendy showed me her paper piecing project.  And she showed me this........

The Sewline glue pen.  Yep, Wendy just marked the glue pen on all 6 edges of her hexies - and folded back the fabric.  DONE!  This will be my "car project" on the way to the hockey tournament: glue basting hexagons instead of stitch basting.  I expect I can get all the needed hexagons basted in one 4 hour car ride.  

Once back from the tournament - I unpack, do a load of laundry, repack and head to the airport.  Polly and I have a little trip planned to do some business, have meals with friends, and maybe take in a few holiday sights.
Bergdorf's Christmas Windows 2012
Christmas window displays can be the best entertainment in town.

Oh, and I found these on my doorstep this week.  I'm in love.


Laurie



14 comments:

Kim said...

OMG love those shoes!! Fantastic! And what a great idea on the glue pen! I may have to take that and run with it in the new year when I finally tackle my scrappy hexagon quilt! Have fun on your trip!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love the glue pen. I've been wanting to find a portable project as I will be on the road 3 out of 4 weeks after Christmas and the glue pen sounds like it will come in really handy. ;-) I'm with you on "Boooo" re: the work stoppage. Ugh.

SharoninStitches said...

I was so looking forward to the Winter Classic! It was going to be fabulous and bring lots of $$ to our area too. :-(

Janet said...

That block is so gorgeous!! Love the shoes :0)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Thanks for the glue pen tip--I've been trying to figure out how to do my paper leaf shapes without sewing through the paper--this may work!
I just finished Gillian Flynn's Dark Places and loved how it all came together in the end. Gone Girl is next on my list.

Buckeye Quilter said...

Please share the shoe brand! They are so wonderful. I use that glue pen too. We, here in Columbus, OH lost our "All Star Weekend" in January 2013.

Sharon said...

To heck with the quilty mentions in this post, those shoes ROCK the house, they are fantastic. And yes, boo hoo to the hockey fans. I have enjoyed some of the vintage games that CBS has put on tv Sat night. Two weeks ago, Boston vs Habs, game 4 of stanley cut in 1972. What a game. I've got all the patterns and this quilt is on the list to start in January!

Nyla said...

On the hexes are you glueing the fabric to itself or a pattern? If to itself how do you get an accurate shape? It sounds quicker but I'm not getting how to do it.

Laurie said...

Nyla,

I am gluing the fabric to a paper hexagon instead of stitching the fabric to a paper hexagon. It works pretty slick!

If you want to google the shoes, google "chocolat blu" brand of shoes.

Thanks

Laurie

Miss Jean said...

I'll be looking for the Sewline Glue pen in stores here. Thanks for the heads up on this product!

Beth Ferrier said...

A little shameless self promotion here, but if you use Wash Away Applique Sheets to make your hexagons, you won't have to worry about getting the paper out later. Plus, it irons on, so the paper doesn't slip while you're trying to glue baste it. Ask for it at your local quilt shop, or order them on line.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Please ... share where you found those shoes. They are perfect and I have such a hard time finding shoes that work for me. PLEASE!! Linda

laughyourselfintoStitches said...

i need those shoes....not want...need. where did you get them? :)

Sandra Henderson said...

YEah, my friend from Jersey , Channel Islands sent me one of those and some papers for my Birthday in May. LOVE. Those Europeans and Aussies are always ahead!

Blog Archive