Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Eureka!


I had an Eureka moment this weekend. Probably because I was home alone, didn't have to cook, and wasn't distracted by the obsessive channel changing of the t.v. by someone. Sometimes it must look like we have a strobe light in the house with all the constant flickering of light. Kidding.

Anyway, I was working on my project for Primitve Quilts and Projects magazine. My project involved wool stitchery, much like a penny rug - but not quite a penny rug. I've struggled with techniques to adhere the wool pieces onto the background for appliqué. I've used several techniques: pins (unsatisfactory), glue interfacings (yuck, they change the entire texture of the wool) and stapling. Stapling was by far the superior technique, but it had it's limitations and problems. A typical desk stapler has a very short neck and unless you were working on a tiny project - not good. If you opened up the stapler, I had problems with that too. Then I remembered this!
It's a stapler I picked up at an office supply store this summer to do my Hawaiian Quilt. It has a throat of about 18". Honestly, once I remembered I had it - it took less than a minute to adhere all my wool pieces onto my background. Pretty neat.

When you do a Hawaiian Quilt, you fold the top appliqué piece into 8 layers, draw your design on the top layer and cut through all. If you staple these layers together with this nifty stapler (which can reach to the center of the quilt piece easily) the cutting is fast and accurate.

If there is ONE penny rug or ONE Hawaiian quilt in your future - this purchase will be well worth it. It was around $20.00.

Remember to stop at the the blogs for the Modern Vintage Mystery Blog Hop. Today's stop is Pieces From My Heart.

Laurie

16 comments:

Mary said...

Where did you get the stapler? I've never seen one that long.

WoolenSails said...

I always use pins, but with small projects, it is not a big deal. Can't wait to see what you are making.

Debbie

regan said...

Great idea.....I'll look for that the next time I'm at the office supply store!

Gayle said...

EXCELLENT IDEA! Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

What a gtreat idea. I hate using glue for anything. Not a fan of pins jabbing me every second. Never would have thought of a stapler. Will have to find one cause I have two drawers full of lovely wool projects I want to sew.

Shakerwood said...

Very cool!! Since I have lots of penny rugs in my future ......

Wendy said...

That is truly a new one for me....I never thought of stapling my applique wool piece.....Thanks for sharing.
Wendy

barbara r-g said...

what a great idea. pins tend to get in the way and poke.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Thanks! I've never seen one of these, so I will be on the lookout for one. I learned a little tip in a class from Roseann Kermes of Rosebud's Cottage--she uses a felting needle to hold wool pieces in place by poking through to the background several times. It works pretty slick, but those needles are dangerous (and painful!)

Peddlecar Quilts said...

Oh you are so funny! Yes I totally understand because there is SOMEONE in my house causing that strobe light effect too!!! What on earth will I do when he retires?! I'm agast!
Love the stapler, I'm working with wool too, and that fusible is simply horrid. Another thing i though of was the tac gun!

pat Sloan said...

Don't you loveeeee stapling wool! The long neck is the newest studio must have! Students even bring them to class

Bonny said...

Thank you so much for the tip on the stapler - I am going to find myself one :)
Thanks for having such an entertaining blog - I love reading it:)

Jacqueline said...

How difficult is it to get the staples back out without destoying your work?

Laurie said...

Jackie

I didn't have a problem. I have a staple remover, but found it easier just to use my fingers. Just had to pry one edge up and because the fabric moves, I could slide the staple out the rest of the way. I had no distortion, and I had teeny tiny pieces

Laurie

SandyG said...

Thank you for the tip. One tht my mind will be able to recall!

Caroline said...

I will also say a squash blossom necklace! Love your fabric

Blog Archive