Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cosmic Three Card Monty

Are you a baseball fan? If you are, you had quite a night last night.

It's no mystery to those who stop by regularly that we are.
While there was talk at the beginning of the day that "things might change" and "a lot can happen", no one was prepared for the amazing night that baseball offered. Let's see, the following teams needed the last night to finalize either their chance at going to the play-offs, or to define exactly who they would play in the play-offs: Detroit, New York, Boston, Tampa Bay, Texas, St.Louis, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Arizona.....uh, who did I miss?
While watching my beloved Tigers, I was sucked into the drama that enfolded all over the country. I wasn't alone. This is why I love baseball....... anything can happen as long as you still are up to bat. That's a good thing to remember for a lot of things in life.
Our friend Carrie, the genius behind Miss Rosie's Quilt Company is a fan too. We have had plans several times to meet in a Major League ballpark to enjoy the game. But, as what happens with busy people, it hasn't happened yet. Carrie mentioned in her last email that wouldn't it be fun if her Arizona Diamondbacks and the Tigers met in the World Series. That is an actual possibility. What fun! There is a certain grizzled ex-player that manages the Diamondbacks.

He once was a fierce competitor for the Detroit Tigers.
A certain beloved companion might or might not be named after him.
October is looking very exciting.
Laurie and Polly

18 comments:

Darlene said...

It was definitely an amazing night. Things seemed to change with every at bat. :-)

Our Skipper "Gibby" did amazing things with our D'backs this year. WooHoo!!!!!

Go D'Backs!!!!

Jennifer said...

I will be in so much trouble if the D'backs and the Tigers meet in the World Series. My boss is a huge Tigers fan and I'm a D'backs fan. It will be a rivalry to end all! (Well, all but the Dallas Cowboy vs. Washington Redskins rivalry that I share with my husband.)

Sigh......

Jan said...

We love baseball, and are thinking of a baseball tour, next summer, with our daughter and grandson.

We're LA kids, now retired, so we're Dodger fans. What a wild ride we've had this year, stupid owners.

Good luck to the Tigers.

Have you seen Moneyball, great BB movie.

kathy said...

I am a huge baseball fan and living in Seattle is nothing but depressing!
I am also a big fan of Gibby for other reasons as I am a diehard Dodgers fan :-).
Love those rugs and quilts!!!

Shakerwood said...

Gotta admit, I didn't watch last night even though I LOVE baseball. That's because my Phillies were already in the playoffs! I wish the best to all the teams .... as long as they come in second place!

Carolyn said...

I watched my Phils get win #102 last night. Sadly, my son's Red Sox got eliminated (although now I don't have to worry about him stealing my World Series tickets since it can't be a Phillies/Red Sox series!) What an incredible night!

Cathy said...

Go Tigers! Here is hoping they go all the way. Hugs

Jan said...

Last night is being called, by some writers, the best night in the history of the game. It certainly was thrilling! Being a Yankees fan, it was not the least bit sad to see the collapse of the Red Sox, or Dead Sox, as they are now being referred to.
Really loved seeing these baseball handcrafts, and the radio is way cool!

Kathryn said...

I was up late watching my Phillies. Even though they were already in the playoffs, it was interesting to see if they'd beat Atlanta, even though it would mean meeting the Cardinals in the playoffs. They set a record for the number of wins in a season (102) and Charlie Manuel set a record for the number of wins by a Phillie manager. Fun all around!! Here's to some interesting baseball in the next few weeks. Kathie L in Allentown

Beth D said...

He was also a great Spartan football and baseball player. Love Gibby.

Judy in Michigan said...

I was so excited last night too with all the hype - our beloved Tigers have been so awesome - what a great team!! Poor Boston. Now I can worry about the Yankees...I often wondered why you named your dog Gibby - how cool!!

Jayne said...

Go Rangers!!!!!!!

farmgal said...

Love your baseball stuff.
GO RANGERS!

Carol Sc said...

It didn't occur to me that Gibby was named after Gibson --- I've been a fan of the D'Back manager ever since he was a player for the Spartans. At one point in his college baseball career (cause he was a terrific football player, too), he almost quit. MSU's coach, Danny Litwhiler (who passed away last week) had to convince him to stay --- now he might be manager of the year!! I would love to see the Tigers meet his team --- but they have to get past the Yankees first and that is no
easy chore. In this exciting football season, talk radio was full of baseball yesterday.
quiltschon@att.net

zoeycat said...

How funny.... now I know how you came up with Gibby's name! Have you seen Moneyball yet? It was great and tells a story that I knew nothing about at the time.
Jill

Debbie said...

Sorry to say but I hope my Milw. Brewers beat those AZ D'backs. It would be fun to see my Brewers play your Tigers in the series. We are big sports fans in WI. Good Luck to your team.

mascanlon said...

My Angels just missed sigh...so now I can just enjoy all the games for the wonderful ballet they are!

suz said...

Glad someone is happy - here in Boston we don't even want to bother with "maybe next year" - and Tito (Francona) is gone - that sucks too!
Well, at least we have the Patriots, Bruins and Celtics - one of them should be able to play better than the BoSox.
Sad.

Blog Archive