Friday, August 12, 2011

Victory Girls

In a few weeks our new book will be out - Victory Girls. The idea for the book came about in a round about way. Lissa Alexander, a VP of Marketing at Moda Fabrics, suggested we do a BOM. An Americana one of course. We tossed around a few ideas and knew we wanted to honor women. At first we tried to encompass lots of American women, but we narrowed it down to the women of the 1940's who sacrificed quite a bit for our country. Thus, Victory Girls came about.

We wanted to honor the women who entered the workforce - Rosie the Riveters they became known as.This was the block we used to represent her - a factory lunch pail. The "WR" on the pail represents Willow Run, the bomber plant outside of Ypsilanti Michigan. It's practically a stone's throw from where we grew up.
Let's not forget that everyone became a farmer and planted a Victory Garden.
There's a lot more. Here it is all together.
We had so much fun making these quilts and rugs. We hope you like them. We'll have more about this book when it comes back from the printer.

Polly wants me to remind you that there are only 4 of the Semper Fi - Watering Can rug kits left. You can find it on the homepage of our website.
Have a great weekend.

Laurie

19 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful theme for quilts, love the appliques and the idea.

Debbie

badlandsquilts said...

Gorgeous quilt...I especially love the border!

Stitched With Prayer said...

I love the theme of this quilt. One of my favorite movies is an old black and white with Ginger Rogers called "Tender Comrade", about 4 women working at the same factory in 'Rosie the Riviter' jobs, who move in together to save money while their husbands are away at war. Really a wonderful story and the first thing I thought of when I saw your post. Hugs...

PamKittyMorning said...

OH MY!!! I love it! Can't wait to see the whole book!

Mary said...

I agree...this is a great theme! Love the quilt!

Suburban Stitcher said...

Oh my goodness! That is an amazing quilt...and concept! It's gorgeous!

Amish Stories said...

Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon county. Have a great weekend folks. Richard from Amish Stories.

Sharon said...

Fabulous designs, what a great theme!

Sharon S said...

What a lovely, thoughtful quilt. Can't wait to see the book!

nngirl said...

IIIIIIIIIIIIII Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kshackabq said...

That's a beautiful quilt! Amazing applique work! What a wonderful tribute to women of the 40's!!

Carrie said...

It is gorgeous - the blocks are great but that border is spectacular! Congratulations!

I look forward to the book... and to seeing the quilt in person... and to reading the stories. Can you ask the publisher to print faster?

Becky S. said...

Beautiful quilt! I LOVE the border.

Vicky said...

This is the first time in like forever that I'm this excited about a book release! Beautiful quilt, absolutely gorgeous!

pat said...

This quilt is FANTASTIC!~ it is going on my list to do.. really!

Pam P said...

Wow! So amazing - Love Americana - Can't wait to see more!!

Marydon said...

Exquisite quilt. Love the theme ...


Would you be so kind to (& tell your friends) comment on my BLOG ONLY (emails don’t count), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Such a wonderful quilt. A good theme. All works well together.

pam said...

I love this! I still have my grandmother's ration coupon cookbook. They were in Pearl Harbor the day of the attack and my grandfather was one of the original Frogmen. I have to make this. Thanks to you!

Blog Archive