Saturday, July 30, 2011

Breaking News! Water is Still Wet!

Yeah, not much of a surprise is it? Neither was my salad recipe from the last post. A few hours after I posted it, I remembered that I blogged about that recipe last summer. Oy! Sorry for the repeat. To make up for it, here is the salad recipe we are going to be having today. I just got back from the market and it was an abundance of riches, people! Everything is coming into season. What a good problem to have.

Pumpernickel Salad

4 cups torn Boston lettuce
1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 slices of red onion, sliced thin and separated into rings
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup diced cucumber
2 tbls. crumbled blue cheese
1/2 loaf pumpernickel bread, cut into 3/4" cubes

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 1/2 tbls. red wine vinegar
1 tbls. balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Assemble lettuce, tomato, and cucumber onto 4 plates. Toast pumpernickel croutons in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy outside and still chewy inside. Toss warm croutons with vinaigrette and mound on top of lettuce. Add onion rings, almonds, and blue cheese. Enjoy!

This is a bread lovers salad! Kind of like a panzanella, but even heartier.

Look what else was at the market!
This is the result of a new app I found for my phone called ColorSnap. You take a picture of something and touch on 3 places on the picture and up comes the Sherwin Williams paint chip to match. Awesome!! It's a free app. Have fun with it.

Promise there will be some rug and quilt stuff soon.

Laurie

3 comments:

Glenn Dragone said...

Sounds yummy!

I got the App. and have been snapping all over the place... fun!

Sew Unique Creations said...

Yummy!!! This sounds so good! I know what I'm having for lunch this week! Thanks Laurie!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

I think I need a smart phone just for that app!

Blog Archive