Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Break In The Action


These pics are just a nod to the MLB All-Star game tonight - a theoretical "half-point" in the baseball season and 4 days off so the sports talking heads can blab non-stop. It's kind of a break in the action for us too. I am finishing up a hand quilting project this week (fingers crossed) and Polly is getting ready for her trip to Nantucket.
There is no cooking here today as it's just too darn hot. I picked up a salad at the local produce store and we'll have that and ice cream. It's a Maurice salad. Does anyone outside of the metro-Detroit area know what a Maurice salad is? The original Maurice was served in the restaurant of J. L. Hudson's department store, which is now sadly, gone. It is certainly a fond memory for us here in Michigan. The salad seemed so sophisticated and exotic at the time and now just seems like a dated mid-century meal. But, a delicious dated mid-century meal. Here is the recipe if you want to make it yourself. Sweet gherkins and sliced pimento olives......yum.

There were some good questions about quilt stencils and marking on the last post - and I'll cover some of that in the next post. Until then, keep cool.

Laurie

7 comments:

Carol said...

Hudson's is such a great memory of mine. I grew up in Windsor and every Christmas, my mom and I would take the escalator up to the twelfth floor at the downtown store and marvel at the Christmas toy displays. The windows were really special. When I was going to university, my mom and I would go to Hudson's for lunch - their chicken pot pie was to die for. My mom loved their salads. Such wonderful memories!

Heather said...

Hey, thanks for the reminder of the Maurice salad. I haven't lived in Michigan in 4 years and of course Hudson's was gone before that. I'll be checking out the recipe and fixing it soon. It is really hot here in Georgia!

Cathy said...

I'll never forget when my Mom would take me to Hudson for back to school shopping. I'd get a new perm, school clothes and then she would take me to lunch for a Maurice salad. Many moons later my first job was as a secretary for Hudson's Bakery and believe it or not they would make the Maurice salad dressing. Loved it. Hugs from Cathy in Clinton Twp.

Cathy said...

My grandma used to take me to Hudson's, with lunch in the restaurant; always Maurice salad and peppermint stick ice cream!

Judi said...

Thank you for reminding me about the Maurice salad. I had forgotten about it and the wonderful combination of tastes. My mother and I always had it for lunch when we went to the Hudson's in Pontiac.

Beth D said...

If you wanted a nice gift, the only place to go was Hudson's. I'm still sad that it's gone.

Mary said...

My story about Maurice salad involves 6 young girl cousins on shopping trips with their 2 moms (sisters). One family's last name was "Mau" and the other one's (mine) was "Rice" and so we thought they created the "Mau-Rice" salad just for us! Such special occasions they were when we all got to go shopping and out to lunch together!

Blog Archive