Thursday, June 30, 2011

Oregon!

Polly and I are back from our trip west. We had a fabulous time despite our very long travel day yesterday, which had delayed flights, sick infants, and last but not least..... a matronly seat companion who sang, talked to herself, and clapped all through the flight. Yes, travel isn't quite as glamorous as you would hope.

Oh, enough of the travel whining. Let's start talking about Holly Hill Quilt Shoppe! At the risk of upsetting many, many wonderful quilt shop owners - I will take a risk here and state that Holly Hill Quilt Shoppe is the best shop I have EVER visited. Ever. Make sure to stop there if you are ever in the area. You can lose yourself for hours, and while you are at it, make sure to take a class there. You will be treated wonderfully. Here are a couple of photos of the classroom (not the shoppe).Look at the happy applique students. Yes, "happy" and "applique" in the same sentence. We did one day of needle turn applique and then one day of rug hooking and the 3rd day we just worked on our choice. It was fun, relaxed and just a great workshop. Speaking of being treated very well, here is the gift basket that greeted each student.

Jan and Brian and their extremely competent staff went all out.

I didn't get any pictures of the shoppe as I, er....well.... I am not competent. Check out some more pictures on Holly Hill's blog here.

Thanks to everyone involved, staff and students. We would go back in a heart beat - and it looks like we will. Keep checking the blog for an announcement.

We like our students and they seem to like us. They gave us great tips - the most important one was where to stop for ice cream on our drive down through Oregon. They were right! Peggy's at the Rice Hill exit was THE place for ice cream.
More tales of Oregon tomorrow. Now on to unpacking, laundry, and opening tons of mail.

Laurie

13 comments:

Sinta Renee said...

I was hoping to see your photos of your weekend. I told my cousing who lives up in the beautiful state of Oregon to stop in and see you on behalf of me. I would have loved to have been there. It sounds like you and your students had a fantastic weekend retreat.(now that I got clued in I saw that Carrie will be up there next)!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What fun and what a great looking shop. Too bad it's so dang far! Glad you had a great time and I look forward to seeing more of your pics!
~Joyce in MI

PamKittyMorning said...

Looks like a ton of fun. The flight sounds, well, interesting.

Heather said...

I wanted to attend your class so bad! I love Holly Hill, they are my favorite shop, if I could go every weekend to “just hang out” I would, but my husband and kids won’t let me. I am so glad you enjoyed your time there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the preview pix of Hollyhill Quilt Shop! I'm signed up to take Carrie Nelson's class in Sept. and am so excited! This sneak peek just adds to the anticipation!! Looks like you had lots of fun! Jan

Tammy said...

My friend and I go to the Portland area several times a year to fabric shop for a day and Holly Hill is our favorite shop. So glad you visited them as they are wonderful. Their selection can't be beat and their staff are top notch.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

3 words regarding Umpqua Ice Scream; Tin Roof Sundae!!
Holly Hill... it is also one of my favorites.. we are so blessed to have great shops...

Michelle said...

I could agree more with about the quilt store...I LOVE IT..I live about 25 minutes away and have not had time to get in there for a while. Brian out does himself with the decor! Glad you had a good visit and class.

Michelle

Wendy said...

Having lived just north of Portland, Oregon for 26 years I can add that YES, they do have the BEST quilt shops and friendly folks! Next time your heading that way, head over to the Pendleton Woolen Mill across the Columbia River and the Button Emporium in Downtown Portland. You will be glad you did......LOL
Wendy

Rosa said...

I`d love to be there.It looks you have a wonderful weekend,that`s amazing.

Ter'e said...

There's my Polly!!!!
Dressed in black.
How would I know???? Haha!

The quilts you showed were simply GOR-GE-OUS! WOW! Those women know how to put together a beautiful quilt!

A clapping matron on the flight? Yikers!

Lizzie said...

Can't wait for your new book. Will Chippewa nine patch pattern be in the book? hoping!

SandyG said...

At Peggy's for Ice Cream, did they say "this is Peggy, you've earned enough points for ice cream"?

Blog Archive