Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

We hope you are spending it with your Dad, or your spouse and children. It's a beautiful day here in Ann Arbor and we just got back from a Father's Day Brunch at Zingerman's Roadhouse. Zingerman's won the James Beard Award AGAIN this year. Well deserved. If you are ever in the area- make sure to give yourself a treat and go.

Polly and I are getting ready for our trip to Oregon in a few days. We both will teach at Holly Hill Quilt Shoppe in West Linn Oregon and then I will assist Polly at a rug hooking workshop in Eagle Point Oregon. I am teaching a block from our soon to be published book. Don't worry - I will post lots of info on that as soon as I can.Hint... the book is the quilt that is in the lower left hand picture and you will remember it as the one with all the berries that I worked on last summer.

Speaking of Father's Day, it reminds me of kids. Which reminds me of a conversation Polly and I had a few months ago. Basically the nature of kids and their intrinsic personalities. We were discussing kids and their different personalities and how their "nature"is pretty clear, even as toddlers. You can educate, discipline, nurture kids all in the best possible way and that will ensure them the skills for life, but their basic nature is what it is. A worrier is a worrier. A free spirit is a free spirit. All you parents know this to be true.

What does this say about Polly and I?? Well, all I will say is that once Polly got her first job as a teenager, her first purchases were home dec items for her bedroom. Once a decorator - always a decorator. Me?? All I will tell you is that my favorite toy as a kid were paper dolls. Loved them!My favorite thing was cutting them out, more than actually playing with them. Cutting out the clothes and organizing them. Sometime during my childhood, "punch out" clothes for paper dolls came into being. THAT was a sad day. Remember Betsy McCall??I came across this picture yesterday on Pinterest. That picture yesterday took me on a sentimental journey, aided by the internet, trying to find my favorite paper doll. I found her here.Wendy and Her Wardrobe!! Wendy was a bit different than other paper dolls. Instead of clothing to cut out - there were pages and pages of fabric swatches printed onto paper and you used a clothing template (the blue shapes above) to MAKE her clothes. There were pages of wool tweeds and cotton calicoes. I bought every Wendy Paper Doll book at the local drug store and spent the next couple years looking for more in every store I went into. I was obsessive about fabric way back when. I'm so glad that my parents put up with my Wendy and Her Wardrobe obsession. Who knew.....

Laurie

14 comments:

Carol Sc said...

Hmmm --- I played baseball and football with the neighborhood kids --- maybe that explains my fixation with the Tigers? The piecing and quilting came from playing with mosaic tile shapes ---you're right --- we did set our direction.

PamKittyMorning said...

I do remember paper dolls. I was a reader as a kid, that's all I wanted to do, lay around and red. So I guess sloth was my gift.

Barb said...

Thanks for the memories! My sister and I played with the same paper dolls and still love fabric hunting and dreaming together.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I loved paper dolls, too, Laurie! Thanks for bringing back that memory ~ hadn't thought about them for along time!

Janet said...

A big thanks for the memory from me, too! Betsy McCall was a fave, and I was fortunate to have a Mom who could draw amazing paper dolls for me.

Carol G said...

My sister and I often spent our allowance on paper dolls. I remember some of my favorites being The Lennon Sisters and Marge and Gower Champion. I must have loved the costumes! We loved cutting out the clothes but we actually played with them a lot too. Thanks for the memory.

Linda, NE Iowa said...

Oh, I, too, dearly loved paper dolls. Are these even manufactured anymore? I guess they aren't as exciting as the X Box type of games.

Karen said...

Ahhh...you were in my neck of the woods! And if you ate at Zingerman's, I know you were well fed!

I loved paper dolls also, plus books and kittens.

The most recent paper dolls I've "played with" were those on fabric. I made my grand-daughter two sets of "paper doll rolls"....the 2nd and most recent was Christmas themed. Oh, the memories!

Have a great trip!

Karen
from close to Ann Arbor

Hotquilts said...

My goodness - you really know the good places to eat at.

Vicky said...

I was going to say exactly the same two that Carol G said - Marge & Gower Champion and the Lennon Sisters!! They received new paper dolls in once a month at the TG&Y, and I always begged to be there when they unpacked them! Guess that explains my attention to Market pictures! Laurie, my eyes went right to those berries! Can't wait for the book to be published!

Pookie said...

Those Wendy and her Wardrobe paperdolls sound amazing! I only ever had the punch-out ones and even those seemed way too retro to be fun. But I did really enjoy drafting and making models out of balsa wood starting in middle school. I didn't enjoy coming up with creative ideas of my own, but I loved using rulers and straightedges to careful and precisely draw out someone else's. :D

Jeanne (RED) said...

OOOOOO, I LOVED Paper Dolls and books, any any stray kitten I could find to sneak in my house--my mother hated cats. But Paper Dolls, oh I always had the cut out kind. (I have most of the issues of the "Mary Englebright--sp???" paper doll saved!)I loved Betsy McCall and my twin and I had Rosalind Russell and Debbie Reynolds--anybody remember them? I would have loved those fabric ones, but I never saw them. I would draw around the doll and then using pencils and colors design all kinds of clothes for them--oh what fun. Thanks for that memory, Lauri! I love that quilt, actually I like all the quilts and Polly's RUG in your photo. (Will that be a pattern I wonder!?) Have fun, you two, tell Polly Hi!!

David said...

I love Hollyhill Quilt Shoppe as well as your quilts and fabrics! Too bad I leave so far away in the south of France or I would have come for sure!

debquiltnqueen said...

Thank you for the first of three days with both of you in West Linn, Oregon. I'll come to a retreat with both of you anytime I can ---- especially in the So. Of France! : D

Blog Archive