Monday, May 9, 2011

Grand Hotel

Last Thursday we drove to Mackinaw City and boarded the ferry to Mackinac Island. I didn't misspell anything. Both are pronounced Mack-in-naw. No, it doesn't make any sense. It's a Michigan thing. This was one of our first views - the Big Mac bridge with joins the lower (the mitten) and the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was a gorgeous day. Lake Huron was crystal clear. (It's Lake Huron on the east side of the bridge and Lake Michigan on the west side of the bridge). We passed the lighthouse and soon saw our destination - Grand Hotel.This was our taxi ride up to the hotel. There are no cars. At all. It's either horses or this.
It is as awesome as you have been told. This is the porch.....and these are one of the millions of potted geraniums here on the island.We soon saw the over the top decorating that fills every inch of the place. This is the pavilion floor.
The pink and green theme goes on for days here. The green continues into the dining room - which also seems to go on for days. The hotel was booked when we were there and we were told that dinner Saturday night was a small affair for over 1000 diners.

Polly and I are unpacking and getting our wits about us. We'll have more tomorrow.

Laurie

16 comments:

ann hermes said...

I drove over that bridge as a child. I was scared to death!

Anonymous said...

Laurie and Polly~ The classes were great! I heard nothing but positive comments on you two from my fellow quilters and hookers. You are both so generous! Polly, it was so nice to finally meet you and your friend Connie, too.
Hope to see you all again soon!
~Joyce in MI

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful place to stay and scenery in the area.
I hope you both have a wonderful time.

Debbie

Life In A Pink Bunny Suit said...

What a beautiful place to have an adventure!

Toni
www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

Ter'e said...

Girls:
I've been there......it's an incredible place, is it not? Beauty as far as one can see.
Will yu girls be getting on bicycles? Remember, you do have to walk the next day. That is one thing to really consider.
Cannot wait to see photos of the classes.......
You girls ROCK - you know you do!
xoxoxoxox

PamKittyMorning said...

I love it. Hope it was wonderful!

TheLazyQuilter said...

Thx for sharing with your avid readers. :)

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so pretty - some day I would really like to go and stay there. I had really hoped to be able to come for the weekend - a friend and I had considered it, but, it just didn't work out. Actually it turned out for the best that I did plan on it as I have been home on disability with some health issues. One day I would love to reconnect with both of you. Take care. Cousin Karen

paula, the quilter said...

This was the location for the movie "Somewhere In Time" with Jane Seymore and Christopher Reeve. Have you seen the movie?

Anita said...

How gorgeous! Can't wait how you dress for dinner...will there be hats :)

Jan PATEK said...

Looks like an awesome time. How did they get all of your stuff to the hotel?
I'm sure everyone loved you both. Love your new line. I want some. :)
We'll miss you at Market.
Jan

Miss Jean said...

I'm so upset that I couln't go with you to take classes. I'll look forward to all the pictures. It's a magical place.

Sandy Muir said...

I have wanted to visit for YEARS! Maybe for our 20th Anniversary in 3 years time? It is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy every minute!

Hotquilts said...

Oooh la la! Thank you for the photos!
Is there a possibility of another M&S quilting retreat there soon? You've wheted our appetites.

Carol said...

Beautiful photos of a lovely part of the world. I've always wanted to visit, and now I have even more to look forward to, once I finally get there!

I need a new rug in my dining room.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could find that geranium carpeting sized to fit? I wonder where they make it?

Lynda said...

First of all... yes it is the scene for Somewhere in Time. Secondly, Mackinaw City was under British rule and therefore is spelled the English way. Mackinac Island was under French and Indian rule and therefore has the French spelling.... mystery hopefully solved as to why they are spelled different.

Blog Archive