Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blast From The Past

I'm showing you this quilt today for a couple of reasons. I always include it in my trunk show and the rambling story I tell about it always triggers a few questions. I started this quilt in the early 90's. It took me 11 years to finish. By far, the longest time I have ever taken to make a quilt. Many other quilts were started and finished during this time. It is a copy (pattern) of an mid 19th century quilt. Basically, I have a love/hate relationship to it. I'm sure you know how that is. I LOVED the pattern and still do. The original had a white background, but the applique was stunning with Prussian blue, cheddar, red, orange, and pink. I wanted to recreate that quilt - but use the cheddar as the background instead of in the applique. At the time, before I had a computer and before many online quilt shops existed..... I was looking for an antique reproduction cheddar at all my local quilt shops. I wasn't having any luck. None. My weekend fabric shopping expeditions were extending farther and farther across the Midwest. I sort of gave up on the idea, but then I wandered into a local shop that had this new-fangled fabric called batiks. I found a cheddar with no problem. It really was a great, strong cheddar and soon I saw I could find all the other fabrics I needed in the batik section. I bought it and went straight home to start cutting. My enthusiasm for the project waxed and waned. When I saw antique reproduction cheddars my heart plummeted, because that is what I really wanted for this. I labored on. As I said, it look 11 years. I think it works aesthetically, but every time I see it, I still wish I could have found antique cheddar in 1991.

So that's my story. What does it mean? I don't know, except of how lucky we all are to be able to shop the world from our desks. This luxury has changed our art form forever.

What is the other reason I am showing this quilt?? Well, because Polly and I are working on 3 different books in different stages of publication, just about everything we are working on now can't be shown yet. I hate that. I don't like it when I see it on other blogs either, but I know that's just how it is. So, forgive us. We didn't fall off the planet, we just are working incognito for a bit. This is a bit of spring and summer color that we all need right now.

As for depleted content on this blog..... how about this? Email me here with pictures of what you're working on right now. I'll post some in the next couple of days. Thanks

Laurie

9 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is a gorgeous quilt and such rich colors.

Debbie

Carol G said...

This is such a striking quilt. Sorry you still have regrets about the backing.

pdudgeon said...

WOW! that quilt is amazing!
i think it took real guts to make that quilt in batiks way back then.
you were definitely ahead of your time with that one.

Sharon said...

I think it looks fantastic.

Vicky said...

The quilt is fabulous, and the story makes it even more so. Yes, we are truly lucky that we can poke those buy buttons in the middle of the night and have a package on our doorstep in just a few days. It's a stunning quilt, Laurie, truly gorgegous!

Carol Sc said...

I think all of our techniques have changed and developed --- would you use a different applique method with the batiks today? I purchased 8 yds of cheddar in Paducah this year --- have too many ideas of how I want to use it! Looking forward to THREE(?) books --- one at a time would be enough of a headache for me!

Mary said...

I also gave up on finding a good cheddar years back so got an orange fabric and some dye. Batiks are so closely woven they're a real pain to work on for me. Your quilt is beautiful!

pat sloan said...

you girls CRACK ME UP!!! And it is SO TRUE! i showed a rolled up quilt end... exciting stuff!

i have not thought of mary poppins in YEARS! That was the first movie I can remember seeing.. i was very young

Sue said...

Love it and I love batiks but I do understand wishing for the antique cheddar color my 2nd favorite fabrics are CW's

Blog Archive