Sunday, March 6, 2011

Is It Spring Yet?

Is it spring where you live? It isn't here. We got another little snowfall yesterday and temperatures are still frigid. Polly is in 80 degree weather, but isn't she always??!!

I do love winter, but boy, this has been a long one. It you want to rush spring a little and you can get strawberries, nectarines, and green tomatoes at your market - Polly gives this salad rave reviews. It can from Southern Living Magazine. I think it will be a few weeks or months here until I can get those ingredients.

Strawberry Fields Salad

Ingredients

  • 4 large nectarines, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
  • 3/4 cup Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing
  • 1 (10-oz.) package gourmet mixed salad greens
  • 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 1 (4-oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 large green tomato, diced*
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 (3.5-oz.) package roasted glazed pecan pieces

Preparation

1. Toss nectarines with 1/4 cup Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing.

2. Layer gourmet mixed salad greens, nectarines, strawberries, and next 4 ingredients in a large glass bowl. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 8 hours. Toss salad with remaining 1/2 cup dressing just before serving.

*1 1/2 cups halved miniature heirloom green tomatoes may be substituted.

Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation

Process vegetable oil, sugar, fresh lemon juice, poppy seeds, finely chopped onion, Dijon mustard, and salt in a blender until smooth. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week; serve at room temperature.


That's all we got today. Our hectic social lives and commitments have us plum tuckered out. If you believe that.........

Laurie






10 comments:

PamKittyMorning said...

Looks completely delish to me. Its not really all that springy here, rain rain rain. And gloom. Its the gloom that gets me.

joeypack said...

that makes my mouth water! This is perfect for spring! or even now!

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe and just in time for spring. I'm ready for it:)

That rain with snow is always so hard on the sump pumps!

Jan PATEK said...

Can I buy the bridge if I believe that? Laurie - would you tell Polly I've gotten something about a wall on Facebook and don't know how to get there. I am such a no leftbrain.
Salad sounds awesome.
We're due to get hit with snow or something again Tuesday and I switched all my quilts to spring anyway. I am OVER winter.

Carol Sc said...

My Lansing thermometer (with the sun on it) is showing 45 degrees --- there is hope!! The salad makes my mouth water.

Carrie said...

The thermometer here might say 70 but it is windy, windy, windy. That translates to dust, dust, dust.

The salad looks delicious... though where I would be able to find good nectarines right now is anybody's guess. Oh well... soon, right?

Social life? Does glaring at the guy hosing down the driveway at the gas station count as being social? (It was windy and he was spraying the people as much as the concrete. Twit.)

lovetostitch said...

Looks delish, in fact have had something similar with the strawberry & spinach salad. I may give this a try & use the honeybells we brought home last week. yum, yum!! Can't go wrong with anything fruit!!

suz said...

Sounds yummy and I'm so ready for spring. It was 54 in Boston yesterday, but by the time I got home from work to NH, it was 22! I'm done - I'm actually thinking about living in places like Phoenix...and I'm a die-hard New Englander. I wonder if winter just seems longer the older you get?

pat sloan said...

I want spring SO BAD!!!!! Let's all run south to Polly's house!

LeAnne O. said...

Oh.. that looks devine and i bet it taste fabulous...Something light refreshing and flavorful.. I will try this on Friday for my mom.

Blog Archive