Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Big Starts

Since we were schlepping through airports and such on New Year's Eve, I wasn't prepared to cook on New Year's Day. Also, being in airports and such on NYE, I kept seeing news stories about black eyed peas being the food of choice for the next day. It isn't our custom to cook or eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day, probably because we are not from the south. The only custom relating to New Year's Day pertains to football. But, black eyed peas reminded me of something - of this recipe that I hadn't cooked in a few years. Yesterday I remedied that and made it. Not only is it yummy, it makes you feel a bit virtuous when you indulge. It's pretty healthy.

Vegetable Jambalaya

3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 large cloves or garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
1 bay leaf
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cup black eyed peas, cooked (I started with 1 cup dried and cooked according to directions on the bag)
1 can 28 oz. plum tomatoes, chopped
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if not strictly vegetarian)
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Heat oil in large dutch oven. Add onion and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook 5 minutes longer. Mix in spices and herbs. Add the bell peppers, black eyed peas, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings and add zucchini and bring mixture to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.

I have another good start going on...... I have strips of fabric lined up and hanging all over the house.
Lots of 'em. Some of them are even sewn together and cut. These are the scraps left over. I haven't tossed them yet because I think there must be another use for them. There is enough there that I could cut 2 1/4" strips for binding, but I have never used binding with so many seams. I'm thinking it would be courting trouble as one of those seams would have to come in contact with a corner at some point. Has anyone tried it?

Laurie

22 comments:

regan said...

I've not done small pieced bindings before, but I have had the joining seam land on the corner.....and it goes around it just fine.....it's only slightly thicker, and you can't even tell. GO FOR IT!

Lisa said...

That would make for gorgeous binding. I can't wait to see how it comes together. ~~Lisa

PamKittyMorning said...

OH! Diamonds!

junglewife said...

Just do it! Like Regan, I've never done a binding with that many pieces before, but I have accidentally had a seam land on the corner, and just made it work. :-)

Sharon said...

Looks like a lone star in the works. Love this fabric collection. I'd give it a whirl for binding, try it on a small piece and see how it stitches up. Happy new year!

Susanne said...

Can wait to see such a binding! Give it a try! You could start on an edge and see if it works.

pdudgeon said...

I think you've got the perfect makings for either an old fashioned braid quilt,(vertical) or a row quilt (horizontal half geese).

pdudgeon said...

p.s., and if you're careful cutting off those tails from the ends of the strips, you could make HST's with the remainders. Lot's of potential there in those extras!

Anonymous said...

That is courting trouble....LOL! I love pieced binding and do it all the time, but not with pieces that small....but you may be luckier than me.
Bev/Mo

farmhousequilter8 said...

I have done this before and it looks nice. If you have a seam close to the corner just cut it back so it does not hit at the corner.Paula

krisgray said...

I did it for the first time this fall and it took a lot of time but used lots of scraps that I didn't care to work with again. Seams weren't a problem as I don't do continuous binding but use 4 strips and miter the corners using the Animas Quilting binding tool.

I recognize those scraps - loved Clermont Farm. My CF quilt is hanging over the back of my wooden rocker right next to me ATM.

Lizzie said...

Looks like they could be a great border or even a strip quilt.

S. said...

The scrap bindings I've sewn didn't have so many seams. Use a dab of Dritz's Fray Check on crossing seam lines to help to keep fabrics from fraying. If a seamline was on a corner, you could just remove the small piece of 2 1/4" binding and replce it with a scrap that is longer, to avoid using a pieced binding around a corner. You might have to replace a scrap a few inches before the corner and continue around the corner and past it another few inches. Just measure the length and/or width and plan your binding as you plan a block. Worth the little extra trouble, IMHO. Veggie Jumbalaya looks yummy!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

I've never had a problem when a seam falls close to or on a corner. Those scraps would make a lovely binding.

Or your could stitch the straight edges together and end up with something like the braided strips I've seen lately in some quilts. that would be cool!

Nice fabrics you're using too!

MGM

Anonymous said...

Yep....and everytime without fail there is a seam at one of the corners. Works out o.k. but not my favorite way of doing things.
Jill

Teresa said...

I've done it...not too bad if seams are pressed well...would make a stunning binding.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Logan said...

I'd go for it. You never know until you try. The most cool and unique things come out of trying something new! The worst that could come of it would be re-doing the binding (not the end of the world) ;)

Melinda said...

I received my prize from your recent drawing last night. Thank you so much! I can't wait to play with all the little pieces of fabric.

Thanks again!

Barb said...

If you press those seams open, the binding will be just fine. Open seams on the corners aren't much of a problem. Really!

Beth Paulson said...

I like these bindings and yes the corners and seams do come together at the same place but it does work and looks so neat on the quilt

Marcia W. said...

I try to avoid the seam at the corner so can mitre the binding corner smoothly when handstitch it down. I've done this by changing where I start sewing the binding on the side, and have been known to just whack it off and rejoin to avoid seams on the corner. Thanks for the photos.

Caro said...

In your jambayala recipe, do you mean 1/2 tsp. chili powder or chili pepper. And if you mean chili pepper, what type specifically do you use. Thanks.

Blog Archive