Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Home From Houston Via Charlevoix

This was what greeted Polly, Leigh Ann and myself when we got to our booth in Houston on Friday morning. It is a painting titled Charlevoix by our friend and colleague Sara Tuttle Khammash. Sara is known for her artistic talent and Polly commissioned her to paint this for our booth and our fabric collection - Charlevoix. What people didn't know at first, was that this commissioned painting was of our mother and our aunts and uncle from a photo that is over 75 years old. That's our mom sitting down with the flag. To say we were delighted was a huge understatement. We are touched and overwhelmed. It set the perfect mood for our booth and theme. The painting is now in transit waiting to find it's family home. We are not sure exactly where right now. Here are some of the quilts surrounding this work of art.Dear readers, I know my photos are a challenge. Remember what they lack in skill, they make up for in quantity. Today will be the first batch of said photos with more to come in the upcoming days. I am posting these today on caffeine, 2 hours sleep, and lots of chutzpah.

Let's see what we have.... Not just new creations made by our colleagues, but there were antique quilts to set your heart and head in gear.These were in Cindy's booth. She is one of our favorite vendors. Lots of time was spent here oohing and aahing, and even purchasing.
This was in another booth (sorry, but I lost the business card). It stopped me in my tracks. What a beauty. I see lots of inspiration here.

Did you hear who won the best booth award this year?? Do these fairy lights help?The judges got it absolutely right this year - Blackbird Designs was the winner!!!I affectionately call Alma of Blackbird Designs "The Woman Who Does Everything More Beautifully than Me". She does. She does it better than anyone. Everyone except possibly Barb of Blackbird Designs. Great job, ladies.

What was the biggest story of Quilt Market, you ask?? Well, around our neck of the woods...... it would have to be the fact that Polly, at the advanced age of....(well, she is older than me) ate her first Kit Kat candy bar. Polly gave the KitKat a thumbs down. True Story.

Okay, we'll stop here today. Tomorrow will be more blog entries and lots of after market chores.

Laurie

20 comments:

Logan said...

Love the photos! Sounds like you girls had fun!

KIt Kat is my fav. candy bar:)

Anonymous said...

What?! Thumbs down on the KitKat!!!??? Maybe she didn't eat it right...You know, there is a definate way to eat a KitKat. :)
The painting is beautiful! Can't wait to see more of your pictures!
~Joyce in MI

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

I'm with Polly!!

Cheryl said...

Your both is wonderful. Very nautical and the painting is a treasure!

Helen said...

That is a wonderful painting. It adds such charm to your booth. I hope you two don't fight over it. I say it should be shared custody.

i love the flag quilt. I'll be looking for that pattern.

Janet said...

The painting is wonderful!! Perfect for your lovely quilts. She didn't like KitKat?! It's been my favorite for over 30 years - I can hardly believe it :0)

Thelma said...

It's a cookie dipped in chocolate, what's not to love, maybe the one Polly tried was not fresh?

kshackabq said...

Your photos are wonderful, Laurie. And I loved learning about the painting -- what a treasure, along with the quilts!

Lisa said...

Ladies, how I adore Charlevoix and to see it made into quilts, well, thank you for the inspirational photos! On the KitKat, it's lovely with hot coffee. My aunt agrees with Polly, she says, "when I want a cookie I'll have a cookie; it doesn't belong in a candy bar". Thank you for the beautiful and numerous pictures from Market. I love the antique quilt photos.

Vicky said...

The painting is gorgeous! Was going to ask you about it. Love love love all your new quilts! And what's not to love about Blackbird! Their booth is beautiful.

Vicky said...

I forgot to comment about the Kit Kat. Sorry, folks, but I'm with Polly. My friends say I can't really be a quilter cuz I don't like chocolate!

Cyn said...

Hi Laurie,

The painting is beautiful!
I loved hearing the story that it's of members of your family. What a new family treasure!

Your pictures are fine and I enjoyed seeing your booth and also Blackbird Designs. I'm also looking forward to seeing more photos over the next few days. That is after you have had some sleep and good food. :-)

I agree with Polly on the KitKat. LOL!

Now I'm off to explore Cindy's website. Thanks for sharing... I think... LOL...

Cynthia

Laura T said...

I saw the picture of your booth the other day by way of Fat Quarter Shop blog and was immediatley drawn to the painting! I love it and you are so fortunate to have it:) I agree with you that it set the mood for your booth! I'm looking forward to your next line of fabric:)
Laura T

WoolenSails said...

I love the painting, it is wonderful and looks perfect with your booth displays. I never like kit kats myself.

Debbie

badlandsquilts said...

wonderful painting & wonderful story!

irishgirlsews said...

Great photos!! Sounds like Polly needs some chocolate therapy......how could she NOT like Kit Kat's??? Love Blackbirds booth....WOW
Wendy

Lori said...

What a wonderful painting sure to become an heirloom!!

The quilts are beautiful!!

angie said...

I am new to quilting (6 months)...but I adore your fabric! I have already placed a spot on the BOM for Charlevoix with Daisy Cottage Quilting! Love the fact that your Mom is in the photo.

JEllen said...

Love the painting!!! We must be thinking alike, I titled my post yesterday almost the same as yours. Thanks to Mark coming to see me straight from Houston and allowing me to take his photo in his Charlevoix shirt.

Jeanne (RED) said...

LOVED your new wonderful painting--went perfect in your booth! What a keepsake. Loved seeing the Blackbird girls booth also. You ALL are so creative. Keep the photos coming so we can drool some more--LOL. BTW, I like Kit Kat, but give me a Hershey Bar with Almonds any day! Jeanne L. from Missouri

Blog Archive