Sunday, September 12, 2010

Peppers!

The oven has been on quite a bit today. First I made my favorite brownies and right now I have some stuffed peppers roasting. Finally, weather conducive to having the oven on.
These beauties, and others like them, were at the Farmer's Market yesterday. Everything is in season right now and there are not enough meals to take advantage of the bounty.

After we eat these for dinner (stuffed with Italian sausage, rice, onions, garlic, corn, celery, tomatoes, carrots and zucchini), we'll have my secret ingredient brownies for dessert. No. Not those kind of brownies and not that secret ingredient. My secret ingredient is maple syrup. Seriously, these might be my favorite dessert ever. I have seen people who are actually not fond of chocolate, go back for seconds on these. You have been warned.

Secret Ingredient Brownies

Brownie Batter:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups tightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Icing:

2 cups walnuts, chopped
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 lb. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup Maple Syrup **secret ingredient**

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a sifter combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Sift into a 7 quart bowl and set aside.

In a 4 quart bowl, whisk together the light brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.

Heat 1/2 lb. butter with the water and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling mixture into the mixing bowl with the sifted dry ingredients, then add the egg and sour cream mixture. Use a rubber spatula to stir the mixture (don't worry if it looks like more of a mess than marvel at this point) until thoroughly combined. Transfer the batter to a 9 x 13 baking pan. Place in the center rack of the preheated oven and bake about 24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set on a cooling rack and start the icing.

Icing:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toast the walnuts on a baking sheet in the oven for 8 minutes. Chop the walnuts and combine with the confectioners sugar in a large bowl. Heat 1/4 lb. butter with the heavy cream, Maple Syrup, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to a biol. Immediately pour the boiling mixture over the sugar and nuts and whisk to combine. Pour the icing over the baked brownies and spread evenly. (brownies will still be warm) Allow to stand at room temperature 1 hour before cutting.

Bon Appetit

Laurie

16 comments:

Glenn Dragone said...

I want some of both please.

SueB said...

Oh my stuff peppers and brownies.. What a meal. I think I am going to have to try the brownies.

Megan said...

Those brownies sound yummy, but I have to admit, roasted peppers with Italian sausage sounds like a recipe I'd like to have. :)

Mary Grace McNamara said...

The peppers are so colorful and gorgeous, but those brownies...Oh My! I'll take two please...I mean two dozen! YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

MGM

Mary Lou Casada said...

Laurie,
You are just a little bit evil! :-D Not THOSE kinds of secret recipe brownies!?! Hmmmm... LOL! Now I understand why you are so creative! LOL
The brownies sound yummy! I'm one of those who isn't crazy about chocolate (I know, right!?!), but a good brownie is never to be refused. I'm printing the recipe to wow my quilt club buddies. I suspect that while they are not THAT recipe, these brownies will be wicked, too! :-D
Blessings!
Mary Lou

S. said...

Can you freeze stuffed peppers? I've completed canning a few peaches, peach jam and "Blushing peach Jam" w/ red raspberries today. Too tired to eat brownies but would love to freeze a batch...must get back to quilting.

Anonymous said...

Must try THOSE brownies tomorrow. I have all the ingredients in stock! Now about those stuffed peppers. Please share your recipe. They sound wonderful, too!
~Joyce in MI

Jen in NY said...

Oh, yum. I AM making those brownies!!

Pookie said...

Those peppers are gorgeous and the recipe sounds delicious! My mind is totally blown by this whole "maple syrup in brownies" thing.

Vicky said...

I almost stuffed peppers this weekend. Yes, you can freeze them. Mom used to put up dozens and dozens when the garden was bursting. Nothing better!

Carrie said...

Yeah, sure. I'm thinking "maple syrup" is some sneaky synonym for that "other" secret ingredient.

I look forward to trying your recipe. :)

Dixie said...

Ha, ha, my thoughts went immediately to the "other" kind of brownies! You are too funny, and yours look so good - will try them the next time I have maple syrup in the house. Just love stuffed peppers - I make turkey meatloaf and make it into burgers for hubby and stuffed peppers for me. Brings back memories of my grandma's house!

Vickie E said...

Thanks for the recipe!

mamabug said...

Yummy!! These look wonderful. We had stuffed peppers last week and they were the best I every made. I wonder if I said that when I made the first ones last year too??? :) Thanks for the recipe you are wonderful.

lovetostitch said...

Mmmm-mmm!!! Will be trying both dishes soon - haven't had stuffed peppers in a while now, and those brownies are calling my name!!

Anonymous said...

I will have to try those brownies - I have been collecting recipes from family members for a few years and someday want to put them in a book - so perhaps I should include this one - sounds scrumptous. Karen

Blog Archive