Wednesday, August 25, 2010

In Between

I am in between projects. I finished hand quilting the quilt I was working on Monday. I passed it off to Leigh Ann to put on a fancy binding. She has taught classes on piped bindings and I thought it was in much better hands with her doing it. A fancy binding for probably the fanciest quilt I will ever do. (Sorry for this old song and dance - but no pictures until a later date).

So what to do??? It looks like our NEW fabric that we will show at Fall International Quilt Market will arrive on my doorstep next week. (I promise some sneak previews of those soon). There might be a few days to a week or down time. What to do? Well, for one thing, I took a long walk with Gibby this morning and I had no "to-do" list running through my head while out walking. That was nice. There could have been a "to-do" list, but it would consist of cleaning and washing stuff and therefore I quickly vetoed it. The walk was a bit crisp this morning and that was certainly welcome. My mind wandered. I think that is good. It seems scientists agree.

Different things occurred to me. I could play hooky and go to a ballgame. Maybe a Farmer's Market excursion and some homemade marinara sauce. Maybe just sneak off to the movies and have popcorn for dinner. Or I could just start another quilt.

So, with nothing pressing on my mind - I pressed scraps. Upturning the scrap bin, I picked out all the lights or "shirtings" as I call them (even if they aren't shirtings in the strict sense) and pressed. Ah, the smell of a hot iron, cold fabric and some lovely scented spray starch. (Or spray starch alternative as Mary Ellen call's it)Here is my pile of pressed shirtingsI'll spend the rest of the day cutting while listening the the ballgame in the background. Multi-tasking, again.

Laurie

19 comments:

S. said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999ph8iRT4o&NR=1

Going on back to making some strawberry jam; your pressing work is a delight, esp. when you have some Cherry Blossom Best Press or your favorite scent. Here's a Pollyanna thought :You could be in a cubicle instead! You may have to delete this post.

SueB said...

Oh what a nice pile of "shirtings", you never have enough of them. Best Press what a great product.

S. said...

While you're cutting fabric..here's a song for you to listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7ddTEnA&feature=related

S. said...

or another song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5viv8AfPA&feature=related

Vicky said...

Your day sounds perfect! And I'm completely and totally jealous!!!

Elizabeth Ann said...

Dear Laurie,
I got to go into the city today to a great fabric shop and I purchased your Clermont Farms pack.
I LOVE it. I am a new pattern designer and can hardly wait to get started on a design with it. I have been thinking about writing a little book with a bunch of little projects and have been looking for just the right fabric and I think this will be perfect!
Always,
Liz

badlandsquilts said...

Love Best Press...I bought a gallon last year from the JoAnns website with a coupon and it is nearly gone! I think I've done more pressing than sewing?!

Vickie E said...

I use best press all the time. excited to see your new fabrics. I made a small project with Halloween Nights just last weekend. I really drawn to the purple shades of that line.
Have fun cutting!

Dianne said...

lovely

Glenn Dragone said...

Best Press rocks my world!

arlyce said...

perfect smell for a day that sounds so nice

Carol Sc said...

I'm jealous of a "nothing on the agenda" day --- and, then the Tigers couldn't pull it out!

PamKittyMorning said...

I love those kinds of prints, I call them shirtings as well. I just have a love affair for 'backgrounds'. Looking forward to seeing your next collection.

Janet said...

Laurie: It sounds like you had a perfectly lovely day - love the shirtings you pressed - I love looking at other people's stash!

WoolenSails said...

I do that once in awhile. I have a scrap basket and was planning on ironing and cutting them into squares, but that was too much cutting all at once;)

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Some days in llife are perfect, aren't they? Mine was today as a finished my daughter's (she is 44) quilt top for her birthday quilt, and sat among my scraps and sorted! Ranks up there with smelling the roses to me lol.

Good to have a laid back easy day, makes you realize how refreshing to mind, body and soul they are. Happy to hear you walked your Gibby :) .. nothing like walking with a good friend.

AnnieRose

Audrey said...

I can't wait to see what this newest project will be!!

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

Pssst... seen a sneak. Wow! Yummo. Best ever? Just might be. It would certainly be on the "short list".

Good job and can't wait to see what you do with it... I'm sure my prior comments will need repeating. :)

Blog Archive