Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sitting, Stitching, and Waiting

I have gotten a lot of stitching done. It's the berry project. While I would love to show you - it now has been decided that it will be published in an upcoming book. (Along with some of Polly's rugs) You will just have to hear about it for a little while more. I have caught up on some things I have saved on the dvr and of course, baseball has started. All I will say about that is - after my disappointment at the end of last year and the heartbreak of certain off-season trades..... for the first time in a long time I wasn't very excited about opening day. I am watching, but I'm still emotionally distant, if you know what I mean. We'll see how that plays out over the summer.

What I did watch is Bright Star, a movie about the life of poet John Keats. If you like costume dramas - this is for you. Emphasis on the costumes!!!! Oh My! The love interest of Keats is Fanny Brawne who is a "fashion woman and seamstress". Take a peek.It is a movie that is just lovely to look at. Jane Campion directed it and like all Campion movies it can be a bit slow. There are long loving shots of people contemplating things and long periods without dialogue, but oh, the visuals!
I am fascinated with this sweater. I think it's crocheted, but if anyone knows for sure - make sure to let us all know. What a stunner.

Which brings me to one of the wonderful things about my love of costume drama/Jane Austen/Anglophile movies. The fabrics and colors. A few months ago on Masterpiece Classics was Austen's Emma. It was a great version of this classic and one of the cool things about it was the sets and the costumes.I couldn't find pictures of the chartreuse and fuchsia furniture, but they were scrumptious. It was almost as if Austen was being channeled by our own Tula Pink. I'm am not the only one who notices such things. Another Moda designer, Barbara Brackman has written about this too. Contemplating these vintage costumes, fabrics, and colors has been a nice diversion over the traumatic Bones episode this week. Is it too much to ask - to watch something while I stitch that doesn't break my heart??

Laurie

21 comments:

Cara said...

I know what you mean about the Bones episode!! I wanted to cry!
I'm going to have to check out the movie. I love costume dramas, and am ok with slow.

Cara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jewel said...

I didn't see Bones... but there is something so wonderful about a piece of art that makes you cry.

Amy R said...

Granderson. . . sob, sob. . . . AND BONES! I am so sad about BONES! ARGGGGHHHHH!

Miriam said...

I haven't been able to watch Bones in ages!
Bright Star is on my list of movies to see. After reading your post I think it is now at the top of my list!!!

Kaye Prince said...

I can't wait to see Bright Star! I absolutely adore period dramas (especially if they're done by the BBC); all of the costumes are fabulous! Have you seen Cranford (and Return to Cranford) or Lark Rise to Candleford yet? They're both amazing!

mascanlon said...

I watched a new movie and an old one today while I made blocks of Kaffe fassett. Both were happy, easy to watch. But I love Bones...sigh.

Pam P. said...

Gaaahhh! Temperance Brennan, sometimes I want to twist your head off! :) But mostly, I just love the show. I really need to watch that episode again. And Pride & Prejudice (with Colin Firth) is my "go-to" favorite when I'm stitching.

Erin in MI said...

Well, after looking at the sweater for a while - it almost looks like it's done with tiny yo-yos. Maybe even on a base fabric...

YankeeQuilter said...

While living in England I went to see an exhibit of clothing used in the period dramas...lots of Jane Austin pieces since it was in Bath after all!

PamKittyMorning said...

I love the photos and can't wait to see all those movies. As for Bones, I can tell I'm the only one who is glad that it worked out like that, yeah, sad for Sweets and his book, but glad that a Bones/Booth romance won't be killing off my show. Because you know it would. I was even a little afraid of the whole Angela situation.

PamKittyMorning said...

and p.s. that show already broke my heart with that whole Zach thing. I was so happy to see him in that ep.

Vicky said...

I can't wait for the book because I totally want to make whatever you are doing with those small circles.

Carol Sc said...

Oh and I am missing Granderson and Polanco --- am holding my opinion for a few more games. The Tigers have broken my heart more than once! I've been listening to them, since Kaline was a rookie (hate to actually say "out loud" how many years that is! Thankfully, the quilting takes my mind off of them.

sewprimitive karen said...

That is sad about your baseball situation, but you write about it so humorously :-). That top...I wonder if they could have taken some old textile and made it into a bodice? Did you DVR Bright Star? I must look for it tonight.

Tricia said...

Soooo glad to know that I am not the only one who gets upset over TV shows!!! I don't know how I am going to take it when Booth starts dating Rena Sofer's character!(I've heard her referred to as being "Brennan-Lite")
Thanks for the great blog and pics!
Tricia

Izzy said...

I just read your article at Barnes and Noble having a venti iced coffee in American Patchwork and Quilting . Love the quilts and the displays !!!!

Jocelynilla said...

I love reading your blog. Love things like this. Just today I was thinking about those beautiful colors LOL. Also, I've fallen in love with Bones as well. Huge David Boreanaz crush :)

Jean C. said...

Jane Austen... beautiful clothing, love stories... great scenery... what's not to like? I always cry in the same spots in Pride/Pred. and also Sense/Senseability.
I saw the near ending of Bones... somehow I missed it! Nothing like having something good that maybe you have seen a few (more like dozen's of times!) times to enjoy why sewing!

lov2quilt said...

love your blog. If you like British, there are some great ones on Netflix...mysteries: Blue Murder and Life on Mars (the BBC Version) and Doc Martin...just the best.

natderueil said...

Here is a link to a french blogger who did the pretty sweater for herself. It is made of small granny squares assembled by points :
http://clothogancho.canalblog.com/archives/p10-10.html

One more thing on my to-do list!!!

Nat, in Paris, France

Blog Archive