Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Older Sisters

In the recent American Patchwork & Quilting article about Minick and Simpson, you may have gotten the impression that Polly is a bossy older sister. She is not. Polly offers her experience and wisdom, (and the occasional wisecrack) but she isn't bossy. The magazine offered this tidbit tongue-in-cheek. Our sibling experience is just too unconventional to display the obvious sibling rivalry. We didn't occupy the same space when we were kids - the age difference being what it is. There are no stories of annoyance, betrayals, and humiliations. Too bad, as this would be a great place to offer them up. I will have to ask Mike and Jeff. Our brothers are very close in age to Polly and they might have some memories :) This is Polly's grandson Michael and his two older sisters - Shelby and Rachel. They went para-sailing yesterday. They are pretty close in age too. These three terrific kids live close to me and I see them fairly regularly. I don't ever see this stereotypical behavior from them either. They are siblings and good friends. It's good thing they are, because if they weren't - two older sisters might make this experience more annoying than exhilarating. Can you believe how appropriate that parachute is for the Minick family?

Bill has older sisters too. Here he is with Mary and Margie. Carolyn is camera shy.
The four of them tell lots of tales of childhood; happy stories with much laughter. He is a fiercely loyal little brother with 3 "mother hens" who watched his every move. Even the stories of annoyance and humiliation are offered with good humor and love. Actually, Bill is just grateful there isn't photographic evidence of the girls favorite childhood game - dressing Bill up in doll clothes and pushing him around the neighborhood in the stroller. I can't say that I am - I would love to see those pictures.

Laurie

A little shout- out to Grant Minick (on the left) who is the older brother of Emily Minick (on the right)They are the cousins of the para-sailors. Grant was named First Team for Prince William Country Swim Team. Way to go Grant!

13 comments:

call me crazy said...

Oh you are so sweet! I loved the article in AP&Q!~ I didn't get that impression at all, just that you both love to craft and make beautiful things. Wow~ para-sailing looks cool! ;-)

Carrie said...

As an older sister, let me just say that any allegations of bossiness are lies, lies, and more lies! I'm sure Shelby and Rachel would agree!

What gorgeous young Minicks! And what brave young Minicks! Para-sailing looks like a lot of fun and I think I'd be game for that... though at my age, the scariest part of the experience would be wearing a swimsuit. Egad!

Thank you for the terrific pictures ~ though I would have loved to see a picture of Polly with the grands. Or para-sailing.

Carrie said...

One more thing... I absolutely, positively LOVE the tag on this post! I think it's my new favorite... though "Shame and Degradation" still ranks as an all-time best. :)

PamKittyMorning said...

You guys are too cool to be believed.

SueB said...

WOW just as soon as I saw the parachute I said how fitting for this group and then the words were typed. I love the article in APQ and hope that there are many more of your project to come in it. I am the 6th child in a family of 8 and I love getting together with my sisters. We all quilt and have a wonderful time.

Vicky said...

My magazine came yesterday. Great article! You two are amazing. My brother is much older than me that Mom says she raised two only children. We laugh all the time about how we remember things in the "good old days" so differently. I know I'm right, though, because he's older than dirt and his memory is surely slipping!

Kathy said...

It was a lovely article. I read it last week as soon as my issue got here. I enjoyed your photos today too. The vintage one is just precious. As an older sister myself, I would say there is probably not much to the idea of the bossy older sister. I just love to hear about the way you collaborate on your fabric lines. I love to see the way you both choose to decorate your homes with your creations. I like to get inspired by the accessories too.

Michelle said...

Loved the article and pics in AP&Q. Would love to see more!

Michelle said...

Loved the article and pics in AP&Q. Would love to see more!

Anonymous said...

hey grandma ILY so much this comment thing is cool i will have to look at it every once in a while those kids parasailing looked pretty cool i would love to be them!!! haha

Rachel <3

mj said...

I love the two of you and your creative minds. I'm a true red, white and blue kinda gal myslef. Loved the article. I think this issue is my favorite. Mary Jane

Taryn said...

My sister and I are 15 years apart (I, smugly, am the younger) and she is the reason i learned to sew, knit and do needlwork. She is the best friend and probably the most influential person in my life. Because of her I know I can do whatever I put my mind to and learned the activities that are my greatest pleasure in life. You go, Polly!

Anonymous said...

I cracked up when I got to the bottom and read your tag lines. Loved the APQS article. You guys are like rock stars to me!
~Joyce in MI

Blog Archive