Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Loss - Your Gain

What the.....????? Two blog posts in less than 24 hours? Correct. No fabric yet. Zilch. Nil. Still waiting, sitting on the front porch, doing my best to lure UPS drivers onto the property.

I did receive some good new yesterday. First of all - this came in the mail.Our friend Carrie's new book. Our copy is autographed with a personal note. We are beside ourselves. Carrie makes the most sophisticated quilts very easy - and of course, with pre-cuts. It doesn't get better than that. Reserve your copy now.

Secondly, we have very good news in Casa Simpson. Lorelei is getting married! We are giddy and weepy at the same time. Lorelei and Dan will hitch-up sometime this winter in Dallas. It will be a small, low-key affair. So low-key that Lori has asked me for a special gift. She has asked me to make the wedding cake! I have made many birthday cakes, but this will be a first.
I am cramming for the final, so to speak. This arrived yesterday.
I am taking Ms. Wilson's word for it and crossing my fingers. All of you out there who are wont to do it - please light candles, say prayers, and beseech the universe for good cake karma. I wouldn't want the day to suffer because of a cake mis-hap. Like these poor people here (all following content and photos are from cakewrecks.blogspot.com)

Imagine the happy couple taking this photo into their baker and asking for an elegant blue cake just like a Tiffany's box. Lovely, isn't it.
Unfortunately, this is what the baker delivered on the big day.Let's hope I don't have a bit of a brain freeze and do something like this. Such a lovely cake, but a bit of a spelling problem.
Or how about this poor, poor couple who gave this photo of their dream cake to the baker. Elegant, sophisticated, and evident of either the bride or groom's Scottish heritage. Beautiful. Sadly, this is what arrived.
This will be the fodder for my nightmares in the upcoming weeks. Later.

Laurie

17 comments:

Jewel said...

Oh my goodness... those poor people. I am sure yours will make the grade. At my wedding it was the flowers that were a mess... I asked royal purple ... I got hot pink... okay it was fuschia... still.

Rafael's Mum said...

Oh dear... you had me in stitches with all your cake photos! I am sure yours will be fine! but if you are still worried... here is my advice.. Make a try-out cake (or two, or three..). Just keep going till you are totally confident (and sadly have to eat them all in the meantime of course :-)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thank you for the reason for a laugh out loud moment this A.M. Laurie!! I made a wedding cake ONCE - it turned out fine, but even though it was 25 years ago, I don't think my nerves were ever the same. I'm sure you'll do an awesome job. The book looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

If you do cake try-outs, bring them to the quilt shop and let me know when you will be there. I will give my honest opinion..really!!!
I'm sure you will do fine...
~Joyce in MI

Carrie said...

I love Cakewrecks! They always make me laugh, and just when you think the "worst" can't be topped... surprise! My favorites are those where the customer left very good, very specific written instructions about what to write on the cake and the baker wrote every word of the instructions ON the cake.

Maybe you should tempt the UPS man with one of your practice cakes!

Good luck! Have fun! It will be grand! :)

WoolenSails said...

I think that would stress me out, something you will want to make just right for her special day. I look forward to seeing what you make for her.

Debbie

Jean C. said...

Congratulations! Such a special time! I've been the one that "makes" wedding dresses! So, my terror was always what if??? Something happened to the dress?
I'm sure you will do fine! Plenty of time to practice!

Cheri C. said...

Congratulations on a wedding. You should check out the new cricuit cake cutter... I just saw it at a scrapbook expo and it is pretty cool. It cuts frosting to go on a cake. Probably too expensive for one cake but it's a pretty neat thing to see...

Sinta Renee said...

Oh goodness!... we are so on the same path! I just got my copy of Schnibbles Times Two. AND I just took a little lesson in making a wedding cake in honor of my son's wedding in June. I am so afraid that it will turn out like one of those "other" pictures! I'm going to go find that book... now!

Lea said...

oh, you are so funny! I'm *ROTFLMAF*!!!

Jan PATEK said...

Still waiting for fabric too - poor us. At least I finally got to stop working long enough to read my favorite blogs. And I'm glad you're baking the wedding cake. Pep baked Kelly's from a recipe in Bon Appetit. It turned out awesomely but I wasn't sure we were going to survive the process. He was rather uptight about it. Good thing he didn't see your pictures.
I'll send out lots of good karma and prayers for you. See you at Market.

a good yarn said...

I wonder what cake they showed to clients before taking the order? You'd be hysterical wouldn't you?

Me and My Sister Designs said...

Try leaving cookies out for the UPS man ~ It worked for us!
We got our fabric and the quilts are at the quilters.

Or better yet ~ send CHERYL some cookies!
Barb

PamKittyMorning said...

Oh boy that looks like fun, the book and the cakes. Think of all the delicious cake tasting too.

Shakerwood said...

Maybe some cookies on the front porch would help Mr. UPS!

lovetostitch said...

Making the cake for any other event........... I'd be a wreck! Maybe it was other bride's mothers that made those cakes... just saying - I mean teasing!!! I could send a pic of the cake my girlfriend made for my daughter's wedding - beautiful!!! and simple, and was covered with fresh flowers, so you can cover any mishaps, but there werent any. We traded the cake for a manipulated jacket - was fun for me to make also.

Vicky said...

Still no fabric? Geez, it's been a week!

Blog Archive