Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Keeping Myself Busy

Still Waiting. Waiting for our new fabric collection to drop on the porch so we can get sewing and quilting. What's a girl to do when you're just a bit antsy and no real work ahead of you for the day? Day Trip! This is my view from the coach seat on the train at 7am yesterday morning.This is how to amuse yourself on a 4 hour train trip. Some applique to keep busy. By mid morning I was in Chicago. I went to see the Matisse exhibit at the Institute of Art. It was fabulous and if you get a chance to go - DO IT. On my walk from Union Station to the museum was this.A view of the Chicago river and a tour boat. I didn't go yesterday, but I went a few years ago on an architectural tour of Chicago on this boat. Sounds a bit tedious, doesn't it? It wasn't. It remains one of my favorite memories of Chicago, and I LOVE Chicago. Soon I was at the Art Institute.Sorry, but no photos were allowed of the Matisse exhibit. It isn't the paper collages for what he is most known for - it is for a specific time in his career when he was most prolific and when he painted his most famous works 1913-1917. The paintings are powerful and beautiful. Even more enchanting are his simple portrait drawings. A few lines here and there - and a complete personality comes forth. Amazing. What was even more amazing, on the right, in a small alcove, when you left the Matisse exhibit were 20th Century Regional Paintings. I popped in to look. Hmmm, nothing much there except this.
And this.That was a nice bonus. Yes, we have seen these images a zillion times, but to see them in person - well, you know why they are American classics. The glowing light that jumps off the canvas on Nighthawks and the amazing detail of the calico apron, ric-rac trim, and the denim of American Gothic - well it was worth the 4 hour train trip. Just off to the left was 20th Century Decorative Arts. Now we're talking. Got my Art Deco fix.If you like Art Deco, you can have a grand time in Chicago.

After the museum, I punched in my pedestrian GPS on my Blackberry (Awesome!) and wandered around. The only downside is the GPS really sucks the juice out of your phone and soon the battery was worn down. I popped into a cellular phone store and bought a travel charger and then went to Starbucks and relaxed while my phone charged. This was the view outside the Starbucks window. The Corn Cob Buildings.
After some dinner I made my way back to Union Station for the trip home. What a great way to spend the day. If anyone reading this is going to Quilt Festival in Rosemont Illinois this weekend - try to spend some time in the City.

Laurie

15 comments:

Jan said...

What a great day trip. Living on the West Coast, I don't get to Chicago often. Next time I want to do the museums. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Sounds like a fabulous way to spend a day! My daughter and I are taking the train from Boston to NYC next month for a 3 night visit to see the sights, a Broadway play, do a little shopping...should be a real memory making adventure! Still trying to decide what handwork to bring for my 4 hour train rides there and back.

MGM

Vicky said...

I adore Chicago. Used to go up at least once a year to do just what you did, plus a little shopping. Thanks for sharing your day. Pea-green jealous here!

Pookie said...

Oooh, that sounds like a delightful day! I went on that same architectural boat tour a number of years ago and it remains one of my fondest tourist memories. One of my other favorite memories of touring a city was a boat tour of St. Petersburg, Russia. I guess boat tours are where it's at! :D

mascanlon said...

Gosh I was in Chicago too last week but spent 3 days in meetings. Still Michigan Avenue at night even in the drizzle was wonderful.

Sharon said...

Only a quilter would look forward to a 4 hr train ride. What a GREAT way to spend your day, how lucky to have the train!

Kathy said...

If you are on pins and needles waiting for your new fabric to arrive, we feel the same way waiting for the lines to come to our shops!!! :)
Your trip to Chicago sounds wonderful. I love trains. There's something about a train that makes the adventure so much more fun!

S said...

Thanks for sharing your trip to the Institute of Art's Matisse exhibit, the Nighthawks and American Gothic paintings. WooHoo! Seeing those classics would be a thrill in itself.
Loved the Chicago mini-tour too. One day I'll go see for myself but want to take in a baseball game too.

Jan PATEK said...

I can finally start to somewhat sit in my chair at the computer and catch up on my blogs. Your's is always one of my favorites and didn't disappoint me as usual. Great trip to Chicago! Contrats on the American Patchwork & Q article.
Jan

patchworksails said...

Hi Ladies have with the wether getting a little warmer have you made any of those wonderful salads you showed us last summer ???

Jacque said...

your tour/pictures took me down memory lane.. My Mom and I used to take the train into Chicago when I was a teenager and still living in Iowa. Wonderful memories.. Love to sightsee and shop in Chicago, do not like to drive in and around Chicago..

Annette said...

On another website you were wondering about the software used to create designs and print on fabric that was used on PR. I believe it's called "QImage". Google it. The digital printing group on Yahoo disclosed it.
Annette

Anonymous said...

Re the crocheted sweater you mention in your last post - I am 99% sure it's by a Parisian lady called Sophie Digard.

Minick and Simpson said...

Anonymous..

Thanks for the info on Sophie Digard. I googled her and looked at her stuff. Yes, she must have been the one who made that sweater for Bright Star. Wow, what lovely work.

Laurie

happy zombie said...

Thanks for the field trip!! I've only been to Chicago once, during a blizzard. And to think there were corn cobs behind that white cloud!

Blog Archive