Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Calm Before The Storm

I have heard from people who know, that our new fabric collection is en route to my front door. Everyone here is getting ready for all the activity. There will be no rest once it is arrives.Gibby was sitting beside me last night while I stitched. He is even good company when he is sound asleep. Even when he is snoring.
He fits right in here at Casa Simpson as he snores, well, like a Simpson.

If you follow this blog, you know I went to Chicago last week. Did you know I went again? It was a last minute decision Friday night as I was still fabric deprived. I started out early Saturday morning and was at International Quilt Festival shortly after it opened. I did a quick pass through the vendors booths and said hello to some old and new friends and then viewed the show. It was really grand. Here are some photos below and go here for more.

The photos are of the antique quilts that were displayed. I always gravitate towards the old ones. I think they offer good lessons on our contemporary quilt making. This one reminds me that some of the best patterns are the simplest patterns. Nothing extraordinary here except for the fantastic choice of fabrics.We also sometimes believe that our quilts have to be perfect. We rip out seams and abandon projects because they just don't come together quite right. And then I see something like this.... It's a little wonky, but all the better for it.
Or when the quilt literally just doesn't measure up - just lop off a piece.When I struggle over border designs, I must remember that even the simplest element, repeated again and again, is stunning.When I believe that an imagined project is just too daunting and it would be best not to even start, I see something like this and know that all I have to do is just put in a few stitches every day, and sooner or later I can have something like this.And finally, when students ask me to help them pick out fabrics that "match" I will remember to say that the best quilts don't have fabrics that match - but fabrics that work together.Would you ever pick out these fabrics and think they would look fantastic in a quilt? Me neither. We both would be wrong.

Laurie

10 comments:

joanna said...

I am so with you guys! its the waiting that is killing me right now. Totally killing me. I have all the quilts made out of the previous line. Most of the electronic quilts are done and now just for THE FABRIC, THE FABRIC, THE FABRIC! AAAGGHHHH.... THE FABRIC!

Okay. I think I am done now.

Can't wait to see you two.

Pookie said...

Holy cow, those quilts are amazing and inspirational and did I mention amazing? I love that you also think in terms of "a few stitches a day and someday it will be done". The only problem with that philosophy, though, is that I end up staying up too late on work nights thinking, "If I just put a few more stitches in today it will be done that much sooner!"

Vicky said...

It's amazing how much time and effort we put into getting the perfect fabrics to match. Look at these beauties. These women worked with what they had and turned out stunning quilts. A lesson to be learned here. Well, maybe for someday but right now I'm loving all the coordinating lines! :)

badlandsquilts said...

Oh they are amazing...Thank goodness for simple designs and wonderful fabric for us rookies! Thanks for sharing!

WoolenSails said...

I do like the colors in the first one and whonky is the only way I can sew;)

Debbie

Fiesta said...

Great dog and lovely quilts. Thank you for sharing them with us

a good yarn said...

Someone once said - Good things come to those who wait. That person obviously never had to wait! Gibby is a champion. Look at him slogging it out. Stunning and beautiful quilts. Ann :-)

PamKittyMorning said...

I can't wait to see your new fabrics. Love the pictures of the quilts. I love all the old patterns and the wonkiness.

Janet said...

Gibby is getting sweeter day by day - I so miss not having a boxer snoring (and farting :-) ) at my feet. And of course, the old quilts are to die for!!
Can't wait to see the new line when it arrives.
Janet

Sandra Henderson said...

I'm so glad I'm okay with not being matchy and worrying about it. I sometimes hate to show my quilts to people because I'm so unique from everybody else... glad to see that there were others before me. :)

Blog Archive