Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Another Day In The Neighborhood

This is the view from my back door. It's a glorious day here. When I uploaded this picture I noticed all the telephone and electrical wires running through the neighborhood. This is 2010. Aren't we supposed to have all underground cable by now? Isn't that what we are paying for in our utility bills? Oh, and aren't we all supposed to be driving "flying" cars by now? That's what all the movies told us 20 years ago. This is the kind of stuff I contemplate when I am doing chores. You too?

This is the view slightly below.It is our yard. Or garden, if you will. We are not gardeners, though. Far from it. Bill clears off this stone berm every fall and we contemplate what we should plant while looking at the barren wall all winter. It's all talk. We know every April and May this thing will explode with whatever was planted by the previous owners. Don't ask me what it is because I don't know. If you want gardening expertise go here. I think gardening is like car maintenance. I am forever grateful that someone knows how to do it, and do it expertly, but I don't have the inclination.

I went out today to the post office, the library, and the grocery store. Here is my booty. Salad to go with our leftovers for dinner and a movie for Bill. This is definitely a Bill movie. I could probably be persuaded to watch if it wasn't for all the explosions. I hate the noise. General rule of thumb here - if a movie has explosions I don't tend to watch it. If a movie has actors talking in an English accent and wearing clothes from another century, Bill doesn't watch it. The acceptance of this fact is the core of a happy marriage.

Once my chores were done it meant I could get to my current project. This is one of my little sewing tins. It contains berries. Lots and lots of them.Excuse me while I pop in a movie (one with costumes and English accents) and make berries.

Hope you have a great day too.

Laurie

12 comments:

Pookie said...

That tin is adorable!

As for the gardening, I used to be exactly the same way but then for some reason, when we all moved to Maple Hoo, it was just, "OK, we're gardeners now." It was very strange. I could never be bothered with flowers, though. That's just too much work for not enough reward!

Susan said...

Your movie rules are the same as ours - and they work just as well in our house, too!

Every year we look at our overgrown (rental) back yard and say, "We really need to do something about that," and we never do. Next winter we are moving, so this summer? Why bother? LOL

Gillian said...

What film are you watching, it sounds much more interesting than the Terminator.

Quilt Hollow said...

Well...I looked out my window and saw those same lines here...I agree with you!
Gardening....not my thing though I have thought about trying one of those upside down tomato plants this year.

Quilt Enthusiast said...

Love the thinking here on the movie preferences.
Have you ever thought of growing fruit trees. They
bloom with little effort in the spring and they yeild
alot of great fruit with relatively little know how or
effort. Compaired to growing veggies or strawberries
growing a cherry tree or pomagranite tree is much
less effort. We just went to a native plant nursery
and I found a thimbleberry bush, described as thornless and like raspberries. I also got a pink
flowering current tree. Natives don't require fussy
watering. Same type of no fuss plants are herbs
They are easy to grow and great to smell and cook
with.
Your red berry can reminded me or our two cherry
trees. If you plant cherries there need to be two
types to cross polenate so they will fruit.
We are doing an auction at work for Haiti and I
promised to do some kind of quilt.

Janet said...

Thank goodness they are doing lines underground here now. Hav4e you watched the BBC series Cranford? It's one I'm enjoying now with Dame Judy Dench. I'm going to try the pie you showed on the last post, I wonder if half the recipe would be good for an 8" pie plate. It looks delicious.

Betweens said...

Your berries are perfect outta the fabric garden!! So pray tell what they are going to be for??
enjoy your movie..

Minick and Simpson said...

Janet

Yes, I think half-ing the recipe would work in an 8" pan. Good luck.

Oh, I loved Cranford. The sequel - "Back to Cranford" wasn't as good, but sequels never are, are they? I watched 2 "Masterpiece Theatre" shows I had on my dvr. Do they have Masterpiece Theatre in Australia? It is a public broadcasting show that basically has BBC dramas. I watched the 39 Steps and the latest adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion.

Laurie

Janet said...

I've got to get me a little applique project like that going I already have enough bias stems made(lrftover!) to do a vining grape leaf border around my next quilt - all I need now are 387 berries - grapes - to go with it! Love the tin!

Vicky said...

Oh, I love to applique circles! I can't wait to see this project! Nothing better than watching/listening to a movie while doing hand work. Love your view. All I see are rooftops.

Susan W said...

Could you please share any good tips for making berries? What do you cut out those perfect round paper cirles from; card stock? I'd like to get going on an applique project soon,too. Gardening is something I love to do, just getting outside and soaking up some Vitamin D sunshine is for me!

mary at FOUND said...

Love checking in and seeing what projects you're up to!

Blog Archive