Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winners Announced!

The winners for the Bar Harbor fat quarter bundle, patterns and charm pack, picked by the random generator over at www.random.org are......
The Fat Quarter bundle goes to Barb. "Camping weekends with Mom, Dad and my 5 little brothers are what I miss most. "

The patterns go to Diane P. "I miss going to Silver Beach Amusement Park along Lake Michigan and also to friends cabin along Lake Michigan during summer months. We were farm kids and enjoyed precious moments near the Lake."

And the Charm pack goes to Sharon. " I miss those long summer days at the swimming pool with friends and the "Leave it to Beaver" lifestyle."

Please email me here and I will get them off to you asap.

Thank You! Thank You! That was a pleasure to read. It really brought back memories. Polly and I couldn't get over your heartfelt answers. Isn't is amazing that almost everything mentioned cost either nothing at all or very, very little; time spent with family and playing games and enjoying meals together. Let's all remember that the next time gifts are needed for our children and grandchildren.

It made Polly and I wonder what chocolate soldiers are. Polly would like to know if anyone else played "Stone School" besides her and the neighbors. I was surprised my favorite didn't appear.Sandlot baseball. Everyday during the summer we had an ever-evolving game. It started early and went until dark. The players changed during the day, and we all shared the meager supply of bats, gloves and balls. Both Polly's and my indoor favorite activity was mentioned - paper dolls. Oh, the disappointment when the paper doll industry changed from cut-out clothes to perforated-punch out clothes. Boo! My attachment to a pair of scissors came at an early age.
We are also intrigued by the mysterious "KF" who has vivid memories of Drake's Sandwich Shop - that infamous retro diner that was once here in Ann Arbor. Oh, KF, who can you be?

Thanks again,

Laurie

11 comments:

Diana said...

I had completely forgotten Betsy McCall paper dolls!

My story said...

I remember Betsy McCall! My mother always made me wait until she'd finished reading the magazine before I got the page. When ME's magazine was published, I saved every paper doll page. I have them put away for when my granddaughter (not yet two) is old enough for scissors. Gwendie

Nancy said...

It makes me feel good to know that back in my childhood there were other girls cutting out paper dolls for hours and enjoying it. I think I almost enjoyed that more than playing with them. When cleaning out my parents home my sister and I found some of those old cutouts. What a treasure.

Anonymous said...

I love paper dolls. I have all the Mary Englebreit pages stored away for my little granddaughter. Her mother used to collect vintage ones and was fond of the Dionne Quintuplets paper dolls. I even put paper doll fabric the back of her high school graduation quilt! My brother and his buddies were the ones playing in the sand lot. No girls allowed. But at least I could watch! Have a good week!
~Joyce in MI

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Congratulations to the lucky winners. That was a great question!

Barb said...

Oh thank you, thank you! I can hardly believe I really won. I'll send my address via email in a moment. I loved paper dolls, too. As for impromptu baseball games, our neighborhood just used the baseball diamond at the elementary school. The kids were ages 7 to about 15 and mostly boys. Family and friends create the best memories! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

You mention the Sandlot kids, that has brought back memories of a movie that our daughter & son use to watch about 15 years ago, called the Sandlot Kids. We all loved the movie and watched it many times together. from Jenny McH (Melbourne, Australia)
PS. congratulations to all the winners.

WoolenSails said...

Congratulations to the winners!

Debbie

Carol Sc said...

I tried (unsuccesfully) to leave a comment on what we missed --- and I would have fondly remembered the days of the sandlot softball/baseball games --- with "scrub" as the determining batting order and playing position!We were also able to ride bikes all over the city of East Lansing (yes, I am a Spartan!), lay them down in front of the drug store, dime store, library, etc. and they would still be there, when we came out!! Rainy days were also for unending Monopoly and Canasta (does anyone play Canasta anymore?)

Betweens said...

Congrats on the winners!!I remember my mother had given me paper dolls as a little girl (was it really that long ago!)

KF said...

Hi, y'all! My mom took flute lessons above Drake's, and when I was an undergrad in the theatre department, we used to go there between classes. I miss it to this day! Kristin

Blog Archive