Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

I wished for snow, and it came.

You're welcome.

Only 7"-8" here, so it is hard to complain when so many of us are truly buried. This is what was outside my front door this morning.And this was outside my back door. My clothespin bag is having a hard winter.I am having a late start to the day, but soon I will get down to work. Then..... I will spend the rest of the day planning, designing and stitching. If you are snowed in, you have my permission to do the same. You need inspiration, you say? How about something topical, something pertaining to the date. Hearts are the theme for the day. Here is some of Polly's and my inspiration. An antique Iroquois pincushion made for the tourist trade.A heart penny rug made by me.An antique hooked rug.
A perfect appliqued heart wreath from Janet at Quiltsalott.
One of Polly's antiques.
Or one of her hooked rugs.Make something for someone you love.

Laurie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the two rugs!! Polly, is your heart rug available as a pattern? (I don't mean a paper pattern like the quilters use, rather one drawn on linen ready to hook as the hookers do!). Also, have you ever done a pattern for the antique rug?? That is quite pretty. Hope you are well in sunny Florida!!!

Janet said...

Hi Polly and Lauri: the sweet rug with hearts reminds of the first quilt I ever made - It was blocks each with 4 appliqued hearts done crib sized in a soft blue printed with a gometric of white hearts and was appliqued onto white muslin - very 80's! All your photos today are lovely and so inspiring - even the snow is ok. But I guess that is because here it's sunny and the eaves are dripping nicely.
Happy early spring!
Janet in coastal Nova Scotia

Anonymous said...

ME TOO !!!!! I WISHED FOR SNOW AND WE ARE IN A BLIZZARD ..I LIKE IT VERY MUCH HATE SPRING AND SUMMER IT IS HOT MUGGY HUMID FULL OF BUGS AND GROSE. ID RATHER HAVE A BLIZZARD ANY DAY !!!!

Minick and Simpson said...

Hi
Regarding the antique "heart" rug, that was once owned by a friend of mine. She decided to take it to NY Folk Art Show to sell, so she let me copy it. I did hook it once, never did a kit of it - just hooked it the one time. The original rug dates to late 1800s and it was fun to hook. It is sunny here today and beautiful, but for us, very cool - barely 70 degrees.
Polly

WoolenSails said...

We got hit with this one too and lots of wind. It was a good day to stay in and create.

Debbie

kelley said...

wonderful inspirations...especially that antique heart rug...

happy zombie said...

I am so envious of your snow! Since you have the power... will you wish some for Vancouver tomorrow?

You're my Olympic Nut kindred spirit (I am one too). I'll be thinking of you, especially if I catch a glimpse of our hockey team. Who knows, maybe they'll be shopping for mittens too! GO, TEAM USA, GO!

Blog Archive