Thursday, January 21, 2010

Catching Up

For all of you asking for Gibby updates, here he is on HIS couch and HIS quilt. He is growing by leaps and bounds and makes us laugh every day. We can't imagine life without him. And, he is smarter than a 5th grader. Okay, enough of the puppy-love.....

I have caught up on some projects and I got to start Winter Garden/Love Letters from When the Cold Wind Blows. This will be fun. I really am glad a lot of you have posted on your progress on this quilt too. My friend Susan from McKinney emailed me and she is doing it as a BOM. She uses the back basting needleturn method. She has kindly shown me two times how this is done and I am still bewildered. I am doing my Simpson Slapdash needleturn method. That means I slap the pieces down and stitch them where they lay. Works for me. She has kindly offered to mail me her real scale drawings of the block lay-out. I am taking her up on that. I will just trace the bias stems onto the block. Once those are drawn, I'll just put the vase on the bottom and the flowers on top and fit the leaves somewhere in between. I finished making all my bias stems a couple of days ago.Here is my first block in progress. I am doing the wreath block first. I basted the wreath into place in the center and am placing all the other components in place by eye. Again, works for me.Do you know the Kinko's trick? For a small fee, Kinko's will replace the original binding with a spiral binding. This was recommended to me by a student (that would be you, Linda) when I taught the Folk Art Stars quilt. I guess this isn't the newest tip for most of you, but it was for me. It makes it so much easier to trace the applique motifs from the book this way. You do lose a little bit of the inner page next to the binding, but not enough to lose any information.I actually have a pretty free day today and I think I will applique, watch some old movies and cuddle the puppy. Tonight I am taking Bill out to dinner for his birthday. I asked him what he would like me to cook for him on his day and he said for me to "take the night off" and we will go out. We are going to a new and promising restaurant tonight - Grange. We will order lovely things and we will critique it for you. Anything for you dear readers.

Oh, and the swing dance class was fabulous. While enthusiastic, we are not particularly talented. We have homework.

Laurie

16 comments:

Janet said...

I will have to try your Simpson slapdash applique technique - I stress too much over placement - your way sounds very freeing. Your progress looks great! Have fun with your homework! :0)

Robin said...

I applique the same way you do. I place it on the background until it looks right and then stich away. I really like the fabrics you have chosen. I look forward to your progress pictures.

Amy R said...

Looking forward to hearing about the restaurant. Great week to go out to dinner in AA since there are all the specials! Keep working on the back basting method. It really helps. I took a class with Jo Morton. She uses a larger needle and quilting thread (in a color that really stands out) to baste. She then lets the project rest for a day to help the stitches set. (you can press with steam too if you want to move on more quickly). Using a light box really helps transfer the pattern too. I have the book too. . . someday! I still have your quilt kit to make from when LSM was in the shop magazine and I have your cheater cloth quilt to make . . .

Vicky said...

Oh, gosh, I'm a slapdash appliquer, too. Only once did I worry about placement but only because there were multiple blocks with the same design. Other than that, it's a free-for-all when I applique! On one of Anne's angels once I had to remove her head and reposition it. She looks like something out of the Exorcist! LOL. And I was teaching a class. I recovered nicely by showing them how to do the removal! Still chuckling about that! Love your fabrics for this quilt. It's going to be dynamite!

Sharon said...

I like your idea of placement, but I'm not so liberated. Jo M. taught this backbasting and it's fab for bias stems. Reg needle turn is quicker for other pieces. It's great to know the different tech's and use the best one for the project at hand. FANTASTIC fabric choices you are using! I'm going to enjoy watching this quilt come to life.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh, I'm more the nervous Nelly type when it comes to attached the appliquing freely. Perhaps I ought to just "let go" and see where my talents take me! Hee!!
Thanks for the reminder on the book at Kinkos! I keep forgetting that until I try to keep a book open in the moment I need it most!

PamKittyMorning said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bill! Hi Gibby and Hi you!

Margaret said...

Gibby is soooooooo cute!!! As for the Kinko's trick -- thanks! I hadn't heard of that one!! And the back basting method? I'm still confused by that one too, but I want to try it!

Kathi D said...

Neat Kinko's trick! I didn't know that.

Also, FYI, there is no such thing as too much puppy love.

WoolenSails said...

Love those blue shades, that is going to be gorgeous.
All of my appliques are off center and crooked, that is the way my brain works;)

Debbie

Marcia said...

Laurie---I have collected all my fabrics for my Love Letters quilt too--it is on my to-do list for this year. It will be my first ever needleturn project and I am so excited about it. I am going to check back often on your progress---I look forward to watching your quilt grow :)

Sue-Anne said...

I cant wait to see the progress of this quilt with the dark background fabric. I did the same as you with my Dear Jane book and it's a fantastic idea.
So much easier to work with.

Janet said...

Ooooh! Don't you feel virtuous when you have finished all the bias stems before you start your project? - I make enough that I usually have some left over and at the moment am sitting on a nice squishy bag full of leftover basted and ready to sew pieces - what riches!! I have a sure-fire quick way to make these stems without using any other aids than a ruler and marking pencil and must do a tutorial sometime.
Janet in the wilds of snowy Nova Scotia

Alma Allen said...

Hi Laurie,

Love your colors! Can hardly wait to see what your quilt looks like. Hope you have fun tonight at dinner! Tell Bill Happy Birthday from Barb and me.

PS The slapdash way of applique is my favorite. Much more relaxing and fun.

kelley said...

Slap dash here too...soent too much time basting everything in my "youth"

Gibby looks perfect on his quilt, such a sweetie...

bunnythreads said...

My blessings to you both on the loss of your dear brother Patrick.(I am a quilter friend) You give so much of your God gifts to us that surely He will ease your heart pain.

Blog Archive