Monday, November 9, 2009

September, October, Nowonder

It seems that school just started. How is it possible that it is almost Thanksgiving?
For those of you that asked, the Autumn Potato Salad from the previous post was delish. It certainly will become a fall staple here at Chateau Simpson. I found small blue potatoes and some rosy flesh fingerling's at the market. I hadn't used those before and they were great. Speaking of blue, and Fall, maybe the early sunsets have meant that I seem to have more time in the evenings lately. I picked up some hand piecing recently and have been really enjoying it. It certainly seems like a long time since I have been able to hand piece. Here is what I have been working on.

Here are the blocks in construction. They are on my lap desk that is full of sewing tools and such. The top is covered in very fine sandpaper. If you hand piece (or would like to) and haven't used a sandpaper board - I heartily endorse one. It makes marking much easier, finer, and is a great tool to have. Just lay the fabric to be marked on top of the sandpaper board and trace around your template with a suitable marking pencil. The fabric won't distort and much less force is needed to leave a legible mark. You won't believe how easy this will make your life.
My blocks are almost ready to piece into my quilt top. As a good friend once told me - keep watching this space - "More will be revealed."

And.... we do have a winner - or winners for the coated fabric. Sherri and Izzy - please email me here and I will get your prizes off to you.

Laurie

11 comments:

pdudgeon said...

your new blocks remind me of sunflowers--only blue! It will be intersting to see how the blocks come out.

Sharon said...

I love hand piecing and quilting so I always love to see what others are doing in this manner, this looks very interesting!

Izzy said...

Thank you so much for the fabric win !!! we all had good reasons and truly the fact that it is a Minick and Simpson piece of art is always reason good enough to desire your beautiful fabrics. Thank you again. Im thinking a granny and me raincoat duo for me and my grandbaby girl, or loveley Holiday table cloth. Either way it is appreciated much.

Sherri said...

Love your new blocks...and just had to say again "Thank you"...I love all of your fabrics and can't believe my good luck!

Susie said...

I'm loving that moon fabric already.

kjb139 said...

oh I can wait to see more! I love the blocks ...very pretty. I have a set of these but in 30's fabrics. I haven't set them yet.

Kathy in Massachusetts

L. Gray said...

Lovely handwork, beautiful blue fabrics...thanks for sharing photos of your WIP.

Janet said...

My favourites! indigo lights and darks plus shirtings - and of course hand pieced! Way to go!

Quilt Enthusiast said...

Can't wait to see what those small hand pieced dresden plate blue and white projects are.
I tell you. There is no end to my enthusiasm
for blue and white and your projects are wonderful.

Quilt Enthusiast said...

PS I am a lunchtime quilter at work and I have to have
things I can do without a sewing machine. Plus, my day is really swell when I can get my hands on needle and thread every day at that time and it ends up being
a real quilt.

D'Ann Caron said...

Loved what you are doing...

Blog Archive