Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September

Have you bought new pencils and crayons? That is one of the things I think of when I think of September. Shorter days and longer shadows too. There are other things. Apples. Sweaters.
Quilts. We are in good standing in the quilt department. Four quilts are now being quilted (one by hand) to get ready for Fall Market in Houston. The fifth in in progress and the 6th...... well, the 6th is kind of an enigma. Remember when I mentioned that I was making lots and lots of half-square triangles? Well, so were some other folks. Me and My Sister, Sandy Gervais, Laundry Basket, Kansas Troubles, Jan Patek, Blackbird Design, Sweetwater, Deb Strain, and American Jane made lots of half-square triangles too. Now they have all been divvied up and here is my collection. I haven't counted, but there should be over 400 of them. We designers are being challenged to make a quilt. I definitely feel challenged. I actually feel vacant and a little brain dead. I am open to suggestions.

While some of us are here in the Midwest waiting for the leaves to get some color, (and quilting our fingers to the bone!) some of us are at the beach. Yep, Polly, Tom, their sons and grandchildren are at the beach for a long anticipated family vacation. Hi y'all. Don't forget the sunscreen. Polly is supposed to send some pics soon. I will post them asap.

If other peoples fun, and the changing seasons aren't enough to sap any ideas out of my head - well, then there's this......


TEAMWL%GB
Detroit7061.534-
Minnesota6766.5044.0
Chi White Sox6569.4856.5
Cleveland5873.44312.0
Kansas City5181.38619.5

I'm kind of afraid to type it. I'm certainly afraid to say it out loud. But, ahem, if you hadn't noticed (and frankly, I know, most of you have not.) it's September and the Detroit Tigers are in first place. It is very hard to concentrate here.

So, if you have any good ideas for these triangles...........

Laurie

18 comments:

Sheila said...

Better the Tigers than the White Sox, says a CUBS fan (who is not-so-patiently waiting for 'something' to kick in soon) Can't wait to see what you come up with for those hst's...

WoolenSails said...

Don't ask me, I would just start sewing them together and see what happens;) LOL

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I like pinwheels but that may be too predictable. What a great game tonight! Go Tigers!
~Joyce in MI

beeinstitches said...

When I see THAT many half square triangles I think of Ocean Waves. Or maybe Delectable Mountains - not quite as many triangles. Have fun with them. We KNOW you will come up with something spectacular!!!

Anonymous said...

Pinwheels, Pinwheels, Pinwheels!!!!
Jill

pdudgeon said...

how about the leaves on one big Autumn tree? the blue parts could be sky peaking thru.

jaybird said...

are there any more details about the challenge.. and how big are the 1/2 sq triangles.. i'm a details kinda girl. i'm excited for bar harbor and can't wait to start working with it.. and root for the PHILLIES.. because we are the reigning champs!!

Sheila said...

Gosh, your competitors are going to get ideas too! I like the Ocean Waves thought! I have another thought if I can find the picture to it. Are you allowed to add to what you have?
Sheila/Ohio

Minick and Simpson said...

Jaybird & Sheila

The half-square triangles finish to 2". The rule sheet from Moda headquarters says this: NO RULES.
Yes, I can add whatever I like. I also don't have to use all of them.

As for the "competitors".... I don't think it will get too heated. I am up against much better quilters and designers. I am hoping for honorable mention or possibly "Miss Congeniality".

Laurie

badlandsquilts said...

I'm doing the Old Red Barn zig zag quilt along and found that I wll have some extra HSTs and when cruising the web found several neat examples where the alernating color values/sides of the HST were rotated so they formed concentric squares... four center blocks were rotated to make a dark diamond, then a lighter perimeter square... and on. I'm sure this is just as clear as mud! PS: Go TWINS!

PamKittyMorning said...

Ohh those little half square triangles look fun!

Shakerwood Primitives said...

I feel the same way about the Phillies............ Although if things go south (and they usually do about this time), I always have last year!

mary from FOUND said...

You're obviously thinking diamonds - baseball diamonds. Isn't a diamond just some triangles reconfigured??? Get in the batting box and get your game on!

suz said...

Since so many of your quilts have a Maine name, my first thought was an Ocean Waves type quilt. Apparently not as original as I thought! :o)

HollyC said...

A pinwheel quilt with prairie points (around the outside-instead of binding)and maybe some prairie points sewn around a few pinwheels for added dimension would be beautiful and different. Happy quilting and good luck!!

Susan said...

Hey, this would be cool, something along the lines of a barn raising quilt and then it would remind you of a baseball diamond. Scrappy is GREAT no decisions are needed, just lights and darks!!! Make stars on the outer border to depict your all star fantasy team!! There ya go, have a blast playing....Susan

Auntie Pami said...

Ocean Waves (as in from "Sea to Shining Sea") since your fabrics are so American! Sorry, I'm a Mariners fan! The days of summer are almost gone, it's raining cats & dogs (which we need so badly & I don't care since I can BBQ anytime!

Amy said...

Hi Laurie
Use the triangle squares as the points on sawtooth stars, then also sash the stars with more hst. Or make broken dishes blocks - two ideas off the top of my head. Good luck - looks like fun!

Blog Archive