Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New Toy

My name is Laurie and I am a Luddite. I have had so much new technology thrown at me lately that I just want to dress up like Laura Ingalls Wilder and live in a log cabin. I am overwhelmed. This is what I got yesterday, at the urging of Polly and my nieces who think I can use it. We'll see. I do love the fact that I can see emails while not at the computer. Bill will probably like it too, since I won't have to kick him off the computer on a regular basis to "check the emails." I guess this is what progress looks like. I am sceptical since I recently upgraded my Firefox on the computer and I am having to relearn just about everything. Oy!

Of course, the phone will do MUCH more than just allow me to read emails, but at the risk of getting an advanced degree - I will just ignore those options at the moment.
My nieces think it is hysterical that I don't know how to text. Maybe I will tell them about that skill I learned in school many years ago called "shorthand". Maybe I will also tell them about a job I had many years ago in a brokerage firm. They needed women to use these new fangled things called computers, to type in orders. It seems that the stock brokers, most of whom were men, did not know how to type. Yes, the world keeps on changing.

Laurie

11 comments:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Welcome to the club :-) My son looks at me sometimes, and just shakes his head. However, my children did get me an iTouch for Mothers Day and I LOVE it. It is like the smallest computer. So when we travel, I can check my email, and the blogs :-) and never have to open a computer. woo-hoo! Enjoy it, you will get the hang of it. It just takes us a little longer then these kids. But YOU CAN DO IT!

pdudgeon said...

LOL, I had to laugh.
your post reminded me of the ad i just saw on TV yesterday. Kids going back to school text at 80WPM--parents at 8 WPM. how true, how true!

But i would gladly go back to the Little House days, if i could take the quilt in the background with me. that is beautiful!

Lois Grebowski said...

Oh, I thought it was the quilt...

::tee hee::

Amy R said...

Your new toy is o.k., but I much prefer what is on the wall behind it!

Melody said...

I have that same gadget. The Hubby bought it for me about a week before Spring Market. I love it. I took it on Vacation to California. I was able to take video of My little ones first reactions to the sea and then immediately send them to My Hubby. It is great and I am sure I am not using it to its full potential.It is kind of nice to be able to send and receive e-mail where ever I am. I am not into a lot of texting. It's great for Facebook too! The other cool thing is being able to take photos or video and sending them via e-mail. That way it does not use up your loved ones phone minutes. BTW I love Laura Ingalls!

Libby said...

Oh, I don't feel like the Lone Ranger, now. I've had my current cell phone for months now and I'm still taking photos of my hand while making calls *s*

Sue in MI said...

My husband just got a blackberry today. I can hardly wait for him to come home so I can show him how to use it...I'm the techie in the family! :)

WoolenSails said...

I have a cell phone, I can't even figure out how to turn it on, never mind texting, lol. I only got it for emergencies and I leave it off otherwise. I don't even like answering my home phone, just not a phone person;)

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad - my step-daughter wanted me to do something the other day, then said "Oh ya, you can't text". I think it would take me forever. I just got a new blackberry phone recently and yesterday morning it rang and I couldn't figure out why the radio was playing the music during the news and then realized it was the phone. I remember taking shorthand, not sure how much I could actually do now and I currently work in an investment firm and do key in the trades. Have a great day. Karen from Ontario

Nancy in WI said...

The heck with the toy! I wanna know about that quilt in the background?? Yey, yey, yeh, I'm loving it!
Nancy in WI

Minick and Simpson said...

The quilt is Chippewa Nine Patch made with Prairie Paisley. I have made this quilt 3 times with different collections. It actually works up quite fast. Thanks

Laurie

Blog Archive