Thursday, August 27, 2009

Multi-Tasking

I am hand quilting. I don't get to do it as often as I would like anymore, so I truly appreciate it when I can. For me, this means sitting on the sofa (usually with a cat or two for company) quilting with either an audio book or something on the t.v. Television in the evenings at our place usually means either a hockey game or a baseball game, depending on the time of year. Regular series viewing really has been nonexistent because of this. Except for the 2 series I religiously watch - Project Runway and Top Chef. It helps that they are on later and Bravo and Lifetime plays re-runs constantly. The U.S. Open starts next week - so there is that too. There is also a Cubs game this afternoon that I am looking forward to. Delightful baseball being played in one of the greatest ballparks ever - and I can enjoy it for what it is and not have my stomach turn on every pitch - like Tiger baseball. But enough of that.

Which brings me to my new obsession - "Bones". I was ignorant of this show. Where have I BEEN! I heard the name, but didn't watch it nor any other ongoing series. When TNT starting showing re-runs in the early evenings (pre-hockey game or baseball game) we started to watch. Both Bill and I are fans. I have dvr'ed lots of episodes and we checked out dvds at the library to fill in on the ones we have missed. As Bones fans know- it really isn't about the mystery solved each week - it's about the ongoing RELATIONSHIPS.

Bill starting expounding last week on his theory about Bones and why we like it. He said something about how Booth was just like him - something about being a stand-up guy and being a patriot and something about me being like Bones because I am distant (his words!!!!) and analytical. He said we identify. He said more, but I won't bore you.

I am thinking my affection for the show is more because of this. Just sayin.......Laurie

28 comments:

Margaret said...

Except for the hockey and baseball, you sound like me with the TV viewing. I tend to watch only Project Runway and Top Chef -- and tennis. :D Now you're telling me about a series you like -- not good! I don't want to get started! lol!

I love hand quilting btw. Haven't succumbed to machine quilting yet. I have a feeling I will though.

dotti white said...

I can see your point....

Sheila said...

Ahhhhhhh...I'll be watchin' the CUBS game too - that and NASCAR is why I have cable. Need to get the little TV situated in the 'studio' before it starts today. Enjoy your hand quilting - I'm crocheting THIS week.

Dianne said...

I am definitely a fan of BONES! LOVE it!

Cyndi Walker said...

Bones is an awesome show! Can't wait for the new season to start - you'll have to play catch up... ;)

Kathy said...

BONES!! - just love it! We originally started watching it because dear daughter was graduating in forensic anthropology - but fell in love with it for a whole number of reasons. It's great! We have all 3 seasons, and are waiting for season 4 to come out in October!

Sinta Renee said...

Definately eye candy!

Julie said...

I love to hand quilt and don't do it, because I am to tired at night!

I have a friend on this season of Top Chef, so it has been extra fun to watch the last 2 weeks. Ashley Merriman, from Bronsino in Seattle has been my son's mentor for several years. He is now her Sous Chef. She was a little upset last night!

PamKittyMorning said...

OHMYGOSH Bones, we love it. Of course what's not to love about the David Boreanz character. We were avid Buffy and Angel fans so that drew us to watch Bones, of course you're right, the ongoing relationships are what I like best. Have you read Kathy Reichs books? Very good mysteries, and of course the show and books are based on her life.

Sharon said...

Nothing better than Hockey on tv, and a quilt on my lap. I could quilt for hours this way. Olympics in Feb will give us even more time, women AND mens hockey!

Megan M. said...

I totally got hooked on Bones this summer too!! I don't have DVR though, have to just hope it's on when I look throught the tv guide!

Donnelly said...

Bones is one of my favorites. I am currently rereading the Kathy Reichs books. Her new one just came out too.
Have a great day.

Izzy said...

Hello , what do you use for your hand quilting, anything such as a hoop, stand or frame ???Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!!
Bev/mo

Kelly Ann said...

I'm just saying...you are so right...he's a hunk of burning love...

Minick and Simpson said...

@ Izzy

I use a hoop. The same hoop I have had for almost 30 years. It is 11" across. I haven't seen one that size in a long time - but I think 12" is fairly common. I learned on a hoop and quilt fast on one. I have tried almost every stand or frame and I come back to the hoop. The quilting is always towards myself and the small hoop can be turned in any direction easily. Unfortunately, because I learned on a hoop - once I quilt in a frame it really slows me down. My stitches are uneven in a frame as quilting in different directions is quite a challenge for me.

Laurie

kelley said...

he certainly is why I watch Bones...and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel...hmmm...and NCIS for Mark Harmon...who was supposed to marry me and not Pam Dawber ;)

Sharon S said...

I have been missing out! Who wouldn't like to look at Mr Hotty?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought that was a photo of Bill!
Jill

Camille said...

You crack me up! Love this post.

Brenis said...

LOL Laurie!!! I am a Bones-Addict. Hubby and i just LOVE the characters, and character development! Hodgins cracks me up.. and it was great when Zach was there. And the interaction between B&B makes me laugh everytime! But the newest ones have really left us hanging with Booth and Bones!! The last "season" there were only 4 episodes. :( Have ants in my pants for it to start again! LOL And... the ONLY time I watch any TV is when i sit and hand sew.. and I do Bones marathons! :D
Glad you discovered them - and oh yah.. you're not kidding... he's sooo not hard on the eyes! LOL

ytsmom said...

I love, love, love Bones. Been watching for several years, but caught up on the first season on TNT. You should check out Warehouse 13 on the SciFi channel. It is similar with its male and female leads. Also, the male lead is played by the actor who played Sully, Bones boyfriend. I think that he looks so much like David Boreanaz. Can't wait for the new season. Should be interesting to see how long it takes Booth to remember and what happens!

Chris said...

Watch Castle!! Better than Bones!!!

SueBee said...

Well it looks good to me.

Elizabeth said...

Ahhh, yes. Bones has gotten me thru lots of tedious binding sewing!

Cara said...

We love Bone's too, and hockey?! Let's just say my daughter attended her first game at 3 days old.

Irishgirlsews said...

Oh ... you make me laugh out loud, I'm so technology challenged, just want to sit in front of my sewing machine day after day after day.
Still have my Grandmothers treadle, just in case we lose power I can still sew. (Drives my hubby crazy) Go Tigers
Wendy

happy zombie said...

Hand quilting + Top Chef + Project Runway = bliss!

We just started Bones too... right after we started House last season. Thank goodness for dvr. What great shows - and why am I always late to these tv parties??

Blog Archive