Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Behind The Scenes

It has been about as exciting here today as, well, a fabric delivery day. No fabric - just lots of photos and smiles. Today, Jennifer Keltner of American Patchwork & Quilting was here as well as photographer Beth and her assistant Ted. They spent the day taking pictures of my studio. As some of you know, "my studio" means pretty much the whole house. It was a joy. It wasn't the traumatic and painful day I envisioned the 5 weeks I have known about it. What's it like? Well, once you CLEAN your house - it pretty much a snap. There are some tricks. I have been on photo shoots before - just not in my house. Polly used to work as a photo stylist for Country Home and Coastal Living magazines. I went along on some of them as a "gopher". We also were present when they took the photos for our books. Most of those pictures were taken at Polly's home. So, I did know some things. Like t.v.'s are not good. We all have them, but they aren't particularly attractive in a photo - so out they go. Same with other ubiquitous things that have cords - telephones, printers, etc. Not pretty. Here are some other things that didn't make the cut for the photo (my decision - not the magazine's. I wasn't thrilled about them being in the picture)Here is a fan, some extra books culled from my bookcase, a sewing cabinet, and a basket hidden behind the couch. Glamorous, eh? Here is the love seat pushed out of sight so a better angle could be taken of the family room. Doesn't everyone have a love seat in the kitchen?Here are Beth and Ted getting ready to take a picture of a quilt.You would not believe the equipment they have to bring with them. Of course, my photo of the equipment didn't turn out : (
Beth and Ted and Jennifer (the stylist for this shoot and editor of AP&Q) made my studio/house look terrific. Oh, it's going to be a long wait until it hits the new stands next April.
Polly will have her turn next month as the story will focus on both our studios and the fact that we work long distance. Whew, glad my part is done.

Laurie

11 comments:

debbie said...

Can't wait to see the pics, your kitchen looks great, even with the "extras"!Sounds like you're relieved, now you can relax and enjoy your recent improvements! Thanks for sharing with us! Debbie

little acorns said...

How fun to have that memory though (as well as getting your floors all done now!) I'm looking forward to seeing this issue! (I'm collecting the ones with the features on the designers I know. . . yours will definitely be in it!)
xo, Bren

Karen said...

Oh, I so can't wait to see the photos!

Now you know the best thing about going thru a traumatic cleaning event like this, is that now for a week or two you will feel like your house is so clean that you don't need to pay any attention to it and can sew totally uninterupted for that time!

Jan PATEK said...

See, it was nowhere a bad as you thought it would be. Congrats and I can't wait until April But wait - Christmas will have to happen first. Well, maybe I can wait a little. Congrats again and I'm really looking forward to seeing your house (i.e. studio). And aren't you glad it's over?

jaybird said...

ohh i can't wait to see the magazine! i often take pictures only to kick myself later because there is a cord.. or something in the photo that i didn't want there!

Alma Allen said...

Can hardly wait to see the photos! Your house looks wonderful. Glad it went well and love seeing the things behind the couch!

moosecraft said...

Next April?!?! Wow! The suspense would be driving me insane!!!! Hopefully you are used to waiting that long?

Finn said...

Major, major excitement! It will loads of fun to see the photos in the magazine. I'm sure everything was beautiful. Now kick back, relax and catch your breath! Hugs, Finn

Carrie P. said...

Oh boy we have to wait that long to see the photos. Oh well I will be on the lookout for it.

Gayle said...

Ya know, one of the things I love about the blogging world is seeing the behind the scenes pictures of people just like you, who are being featured in magazines of all sorts. It's like I 'know' a famous person! LOL

Camille said...

From the bits and pieces I can see, your house looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it in the magazine! And just between us, most pictures I take are just like that, hiding stuff behind big things. Although over here, it is hiding messes behind big things. Your house looks CLEAN.

Blog Archive