Monday, March 30, 2009

Whining

You know, if you whine long enough someone comes along to give you what you want, for no other reason than to shut you up. I have opined about my lack of photography skills since I started this blog. I long for good shots like Camille can put up and Anne has been showing. Oh well. A photography class is penciled in on my wish list right behind my Masters Tennis class and Advanced Cake Decorating. Sure. Carrie of Miss Rosie's sent these over. She was at the Kansas Troubles headquarters a year ago and dusted these off for us. Thanks Carrie.!!!!This first one is the same room where I took the bed photos. In this one you can see more of the room and get the idea of how many quilts are there. What you don't see is several floor to ceiling cabinets stacked with quilts too. The next picture shows the work room or gathering room. This is where we sat and stitched and talked at night. It is big enough to play rugby in. Okay, it is actually big enough to have a dozen different sewing stations positioned around the room. GENEROUS sewing stations. This room was once the ballroom I believe, of the local Elks lodge (maybe Moose) in earlier days. It is certainly big enough for a large gathering of dancers and a band. Both of these rooms are on the second floor, along with a huge kitchen, a storage room, and 3 bathrooms. There is that much square footage again in the ground floor. All filled with cool stuff and lots of quilts. Count your blessings that you don't get the heating bill for this place.

Despite the dusting of snow we had yesterday, spring is trying to creep in. The Ann Arbor Farmer's Market started up on Saturday. One of the early samplings was rhubarb. I have been on a 25 year quest to find a palatable rhubarb recipe. Most are too tart, or too sweet. If the yin-yang of sweetness is good - then the texture is slimy. Well, in the last issue of Country Home (Yes, the LAST ISSUE!!!) there is a recipe for Orange-Rhubarb quick bread. It's a winner. I baked this on Saturday and it is almost gone. Next time I think I will bake it in a bundt pan and put an orange glaze on it. It is much more delicate than a bread - more like a rich coffee cake.Orange-Rhubarb Quick Bread

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/4 cup yellow cornmeal

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cups butter, melted

3 eggs

1/2 cup milk

2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel

2 tablespoons orange juice

2 cups finely chopped rhubarb

Streusel topping

Lightly coat two 8x4x2 inch baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl stir together sugar, butter, eggs, milk, orange peel, and orange juice until combined; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Gently fold rhubarb into batter. Divide and spoon into prepared pans; sprinkle streusel topping evenly over tops. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 - 45 minutes. Cool in pans for 15 minutes and then turn out on wire racks.

Streusel Topping: Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg. With a pastry blender, cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, if desired.

Laurie

11 comments:

Vickie E said...

I'm with you on the photography thing...I NEED a class...

Kwiltsfl said...

I will miss Country Home magazine. I sure did enjoy seeing Polly's house in it! I would like to be a better photographer, too, but really don't want to learn the technology of it. I just want to hit an "Easy" button and have my pics become works of art!
Karen

Janet said...

when I saw the first photo, it reminded me of the Nanny McPhee movie. Aren't the quilts fabulous. I'm so glad we got to see them.
I love rhubarb so may try this recipe, thanks for sharing it.

Dawn Heese said...

I agree, Camille has awesome photos. Don't know how she does it. Rhubarb, my mother used to make the best jelly from it. If we all complain will bring Country Home back?

Sherri said...

How much fun you all must have had!

Donna said...

the room wilth all the quilts is amazing. Me and the camara don't always get along either

Carrie P. said...

Look at all those lovely quilts. How fun.

PamKittyMorning said...

Sigh.
I would love some good photography, got a new camera on my nerd weekend. I would love even more to spend time retreating with such a great group. And even more, would love sitting with you for coffee and tasty bread. Yummy.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Laurie ~ Looking at all those beds lined up with all those quilts is like a feast for the eyes!!! Some of my pix are good ~ some are not so good ~ a class is a great idea!! Thanks for the suggestion!! And I'll try the rhubarb recipe, too! Thank you!
Alice

Marcia said...

This just proves what I have suspected all along---quilting really IS just a big sisterhood. It sounds like you ladies had so much fun together.

Lynne's "dorm room" of beds and quilts inspired me to do the same thing in one of my bedrooms for my granddaughters to sleep in.

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive