Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Update

We have had an early taste of winter here in the Midwest. This is our first snowfall of the year. The precipitation is meager, but it's a start. Yes, it's terrible to drive in and it means the utility bills will start to go up, but I still love snow. This Sunday is low key and contemplative. Bill is at hockey practice and I have an audio book playing while I try to come up with a quilt design. The design process is not flowing freely today. It is fighting me at every turn. As soon as I sit down at the drafting table, a new task occurs to me and I am off on another household chore/stall tactic. It's like that sometimes. Once in awhile the new ideas fall out of my head at such a speed you think they will never stop; and sometimes it's like today. Oh well. My next chore/stall tactic is to make a pot of tea. Lots of caffeine I think. Polly is in Southern California teaching a rug hooking workshop. The workshop is going great and she is enjoying herself, but the wildfires have everyone concerned. I hope they will soon be under control.

Oh, I can recommend the latest audio books that I have on loan from the library. They are "Case Studies" and "One Good Turn" by Kate Atkinson. Wonderfully written novels about private investigator Jackson Brodie who solves layered and convoluted mysteries in Scotland. NOT your average whodunit. I am on the waiting list for the next installment. I can't wait.

I'm going to start the tea and get back to work. Here's hoping your day, and work, is flowing freely.

Laurie

7 comments:

fifiquilter said...

Lucky you! Can't find both of them on audio here (and she just lives down the road!) only Not the End of the World. It's so nice to find someone else who likes to listen to novels whilst stitching. My favourites are vintage crime novels, so my sewing room is a haven of peaceful murder:) Miss Marple gives me the best sewing results.....

Betweens said...

me too.. love the audio books listened to Maueve Bichy great books to listen to..and love autobiographies.
We had some snow too in Ontario and now more to come but like you I love it!! happy creating.. still working on "reaching for the stars" had other commitments but will be back on shortly.

lovetostitch said...

Oh, Laurie, if you are open to suggestion for that blank slate, I might could give a few - I have inspiration just looking at your pics, and can imagine all good things around that room.
When I first heard you say Polly was in CA, the fires popped in my mind. I just want to give a shout out to all there and praying for safety!!
Thanks for the suggestion of using our lovely little library - that will be on my list of stops when I go to town!! Great idea!! L. xo

Intervenção Digital said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PamKittyMorning said...

Ohh a light snow sounds lovely. Cool crisp air. We've had unseasonably warm weather here and this weekend we were at Disneyland and it was in the 90's. D-land is decked out for Christmas and we're sweating like its mid-summer. The fires were awful and my heart goes out to those who have lost their homes.

Carrie P. said...

I love snow too. I don't like those fires in California. I have experienced them when I lived there once.

kelley said...

I just finished When Will There Be Good News by K Atkinson and it's another winner...

listening to The Gate House now...audio books help me have more time to stitch and hook...

Blog Archive