Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Company!


Bill's sisters Mary and Margie are coming for dinner tonight. It was requested that I make THE coconut cupcakes. I make them for many special occasions - and some not so special occasions. Polly makes them for her grandkids. This recipe is a keeper. I found it about 10-12 years ago in a magazine. It is Ina Garten's recipe. This was before she became the industry known as "The Barefoot Contessa". At the time I think she had just the one shop in Southampton named "Barefoot Contessa." She was quoted at the time as saying these were the cupcakes that made her shop famous. No doubt. Use real vanilla and almond extract and most importantly use BUTTER. I recommend Plugra butter. It is a "European Style" butter. I am told that this means more milk solids in ratio to water that is found is American style butter. I learned about this butter at chef camp. Whatever. Find it and use it. You won't be sorry. I buy it at several places in town, but it is at Whole Foods which is almost everywhere now.

Coconut Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 7-oz. pkg. shredded coconut

Line 16 2 1/2" muffin cups with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and butter for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. Add the vanilla and almond extract; mix well.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Fold in 1 1/3 cups of the coconut.

Fill each muffin cup almost full with batter. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 23-28 minutes. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting (Ina recommends doubling the frosting recipe - so do I!)

2 3-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and almond extract until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating well. Frost generously and top with remaining coconut.

ENJOY!!

Laurie

6 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Yummy! I am going to try those cupcakes.

Minick and Simpson said...

Believe me, if you can get grandchildren to give up chocolate - you know they are good, our kids love them! You will not be sorry - I wish I were back in MI this week to see the color, but more than that - enjoy those cupcakes.
Polly

Mar said...

those look delish! thanks for the recipe. I remember when Martha first started having Ina on her show.

Joycemcushing said...

The cupcakes look like they're to die for! I love coconut! Thanks for the recipe. I know what I'm making for stitch group next week!

lovetostitch said...

I had planned to make a coconut pie this week end - but these look "to die for". Very generous to give the recipe - thanks, bunches!!!! Linda

from little acorns said...

Thanks for the recipe! I have been in the mood to bake something for my Dad while I'm gone at Market. . . & I think these would be perfect!
xo, Bren

Blog Archive