Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It Doesn't Look Very Exciting, Does it?


Everything around here has been "hurry up and wait". Polly and I have much to do to get ready for quilt market next month, but the more urgent the need, the more we have to wait. Our main goal is to get patterns ready to show shop owners. After designing the quilt or rug we then have help from our valued colleagues Lisa, Luanne, and Leigh Ann. Lisa puts our ideas and graphics into computerese so the printer can print it. Luanne binds Polly's rugs along with other sundry sewing needs, and Leigh Ann machine pieces at supersonic speed. We were in limbo with a quilt pattern this week awaiting the final proofreading (read: actually making the quilt from the written directions). We were waiting for the wonderful delivery of "New Fabric" from Moda. Well, it was delivered yesterday afternoon!! Blocks have been pieced and all the fabric cut and it is looking great. Before the arrival of my UPS man I started to "proofread" the pattern using scraps I had on hand. The good news is that the final pieced and appliqued blocks will fit together perfectly (lots of applique for all you "A word" fans). The bad news is that THIS quilt is less than spectacular. It was a successful proofreading exercise, but it doesn't look like much, does it? It did prove that our math was correct and that's good. Imagine all those big blocks actually being neutral fabrics covered with lots of applique. Polly suggested that nothing will go to waste, so this, and all of our "proofreading" tops will be donated to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Project. We will get it quilted, and get it on it's way. Proofreading is highly underrated.

Laurie

5 comments:

Mar said...

Love applique, love your fabrics, I'm sure it will be perfect!

Kwiltsfl said...

I too LOVE needleturn applique. I can't wait to see the new pattern. I hope everything is up and running in Houston by late October for Market!

Carrie P. said...

Applique is my passion. Can't wait to see the finished product. I just got my McCalls quilt magazine and saw your great patterns for the quilts and rugs. Love them.

Peddlecar Quilts said...

Can hardly wait until the appliques are on---I have no doubt it will be wonderful, as all your work is! Love that twill tape, I will be looking for some of that very soon!

lissa said...

ONE WORD..........................................................................................................AWESOME

Blog Archive