Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What was I thinking?


Sometime last year, in a fragile mental state obviously, I started work on a Lone Star quilt. I have always wanted to do one. I had put it off when I was exclusively a hand-piecer as it's many bias edges were a little scary. In the last couple of years I had tentatively started to machine piece some tops. It was starting to become necessary as I was getting deadlines for quilts that would not allow hand piecing. I still love to hand piece and hand quilt, but I just needed to add machine piecing to my repertoire. After a few nine patches and log cabins I decided to jump in and attempt this. What was I thinking, indeed. Actually it came together easily. It was the size that was challenging. All I will say is that the 11 foot dining room table was out of commission for over a month (for dining, that is). Oh, it has some issues. It had some peaks and valleys and the edges are a bit less than square, but machine quilter extraordinaire Kari Smith-Ruedisale made them go away. It is now featured in the current American Patchwork & Quilting magazine - October 2008. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Even with it's issues - I'm glad I attempted it.

Laurie

17 comments:

Peddlecar Quilts said...

Oh, it is beautiful! What a huge project! I will have to watch for it in the magazine! Thanks for sharing!
Diane

Tammy said...

It is absolutely beautiful, you should be proud!

Lindenhaus said...

I'm speechless.....except to say it is exquisite!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Gorgeous!

Lisa D. said...

Wow, that is amazing! It puts my simple little lone stars to shame. Thanks for sharing that beautiful picture!

Karen said...

What an accomplishment, it is so beautiful.

Ginny Worden said...

Love it, beautiful. I would love to tackle it, and the quote keeps resonating with me:
"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"
Is this the quilt. Even if it isn't "THE ONE" , I will enjoy viewing yours in the magazine.
Thank you.

Nancy in MT said...

Stunning Laurie, can't wait to hit my mail box on the way to work to get my magazine.

Deb S said...

Oh my! What a gorgeous quilt. Can't wait to see it in print. Absolutely stunning!

Mar said...

absolutely stunning, wow! congrats on having the courage to dive in and stay with it.

Stephanie said...

I just received my magazine and saw your quilt. It is an absolute masterpiece.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

It is lovely!! Wonderful work! I also just read about you in my BH & G Quilting magazine and that you work in a quilt shop...in Michigan I think it said? Anywho, keep on inspiring - you both do it so well!

Becky

Libby said...

What a beauty! My magazine came today . . . I'll go to sleep tonight dreaming of fabrics that I will use to make one of my very own.

Vicky said...

That is such a gorgeous quilt! Congrats on a beautiful finish!

LauraT said...

What a beautiful quilt! I saw it first in the magazine and saw your name. You are right nothing ventured nothing gained! You did a beautiful job and I love the colors.
Laura

Betweens said...

Laurie this quilt is on my list in fact I have my fabulous fabs all picked. I just love this quilt and you did a superb job which it justly deserves mag presentation. Thanks for commiting and finishing this work of art. I have so many projects on the go but this one will still take presidence in the fall. deb

Cody said...

Dear Laurie, I am an 18 year old guy who really enjoys quilting, and just started this quilt today. I chose fabrics from connectingthreads.com because they were relatively inexpensive, although high in quality, and have to say that this is going to be SO much fun to complete. I just finished Moda's 3 Sisters Texas Truffles quilt top (which i bought in a kit), and I really have fallen in love with all of this. I do plan to add a 5.5" red border around the sides, and add the black binding. I have a APQS machine at my high school, and plan to completely freehand quilt this top. I was wondering what you had used for backing. Thank you so much. Cody Stewart
youareindesperateneedofchanel@gmail.com

Blog Archive